Recording games with SJCAM SJ5000 WiFi action cam and LynkSpyder

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2016
I've got a Xiaomi Yi camera that uses the same sensor as the Go Pro's from a couple of years ago. I have multiple fence mounting options, including a gorilla pod magnetic tripod for when the field has cloth nets (can tie around a bleacher rail, or stick to the poll holding the net), and a DIY fence mount made of a $3 Chinese selfie stick, a Go Pro hinge mount, and flexible/shapeable rubber twist ties.

I wrap the top of the selfie stick right below the mount with a 6" flexible tie that ends up shaped like a V with hooks on the ends. The hooks suspend the rig to the fence, allowing you to reach overhead with the selfie stick to get a good height on the fence (8'-10') while keeping the camera between the fence links. Then one twist tie secures the selfie stick handle at the bottom so you don't get any movement. Almost have to take a picture of that to make it make sense, but it's a cheap and really secure way to mount it. It might look sketch, but it works surprisingly well.

My whole setup was under $100. I didn't know how much I'd keep up recording games, but when you catch crazy stuff like this crazily umpired play last year that should have had about four outs, it's worth it:

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I've got a Xiaomi Yi camera that uses the same sensor as the Go Pro's from a couple of years ago. I have multiple fence mounting options, including a gorilla pod magnetic tripod for when the field has cloth nets (can tie around a bleacher rail, or stick to the poll holding the net), and a DIY fence mount made of a $3 Chinese selfie stick, a Go Pro hinge mount, and flexible/shapeable rubber twist ties.

I wrap the top of the selfie stick right below the mount with a 6" flexible tie that ends up shaped like a V with hooks on the ends. The hooks suspend the rig to the fence, allowing you to reach overhead with the selfie stick to get a good height on the fence (8'-10') while keeping the camera between the fence links. Then one twist tie secures the selfie stick handle at the bottom so you don't get any movement. Almost have to take a picture of that to make it make sense, but it's a cheap and really secure way to mount it. It might look sketch, but it works surprisingly well.

My whole setup was under $100. I didn't know how much I'd keep up recording games, but when you catch crazy stuff like this crazily umpired play last year that should have had about four outs, it's worth it:

Agree with you on crazy things that happen when you record....and that certainly was a doozy.

Which side of the fence is your camera mounted (player or spectator)? Also, and in full disclosure, yes I have a biased skin in the game, but am not directly trying to sell you something: can your setup handle an impact from a foul or overthrown ball?

Jul 17, 2016
Agree with you on crazy things that happen when you record....and that certainly was a doozy.

Which side of the fence is your camera mounted (player or spectator)? Also, and in full disclosure, yes I have a biased skin in the game, but am not directly trying to sell you something: can your setup handle an impact from a foul or overthrown ball?

On the spectator side for both options (selfie stick+ties for chain link, magnetic gorilla pod for net poles). And yes, both setups I use have take direct shots from fouls. The Gorilla Pod magnetic mount sagged, but I use a velcro "leash" if it's only on the magnets. It's never been knocked off the magnets, but it's a cheap peace of mind. The selfie stick+ties doesn't move. Maybe if I didn't tighten the hinged Go Pro adapter mount properly, but otherwise no movement.

The selfie stick was just a DIY experiment from stuff I already had, that provided much more stable than I ever imagined, and it gives the advantage of being able to get a higher mount view if you want.

I know your solution is probably superior to either of my options. It's probably more easily adjustable to get the links out of the corners of the frame, etc. But what I'm doing works. I might even someday buy your solution if I get more serious about things. It's a nice solution.

Jul 17, 2016
Pics I just took. Had to find a fence, ended up at the neighborhood boat lot:
facing_zpscaxk7pvl.jpg

away_zpse3qvcbkf.jpg

close%20up_zpsw4caifii.jpg

rig_zpsf4f3oryd.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles