Reconciliation of the score book between innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2013
Game this weekend we scored two and the other team said only one. young umpire was "fairly" sure we had scored two but the home book lady was not even going to think about trying to work through it...WE ARE RIGHT straight out of the gate she said. Umpire didnt know and started to get flustered.. Called UIC and the first thing out of his mount was go with the home team books. We even had it on video and the UIC didnt even want to consider that the home team book was wrong. Anyway, we ended up beating them by one so it didnt matter but what the heck! So if the hometeam wanted to say they scored 20 when they didnt score any they would accept that. Thats a bunch of crap. It really hackes me off when people are so radical that they think there is no way possible they are wrong and will not even entertain the fact that they may be wrong and try to work through the issue UHG!!

Jun 22, 2008
If the two books dont agree and the problem cannot be readily found the home team book is the official book.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the two books dont agree and the problem cannot be readily found the home team book is the official book.

IMO, if you don't look for something, you won't find it!

Comp - what's the umpire's role in this case? Facilitate reconciliation between the 2 scorekeepers, but move on w/ the home book scoring if the problem isn't readily apparent or resolvable? Is lack of reconciliation protestable?

Reconciliation is not that hard...you see who you have as scoring the run and what the "home team" did with that person.

It's not that hard, I have been on both ends and never feel bad about getting with the other teams score keeper and figuring it out.

Last tournament we were in I really liked what they did, they had a score keeping stand behind the plate tournament official in the middle and a team rep on either side, home team still kept official book but other team was right there along side and they reconciled as they went.

Jun 22, 2008
Umpire isnt the scorekeeper. If they happen to have something in the way of information that can help that is fine, but they shouldnt be stopping the game for a protracted discussion about the score. The 2 books need to get together and figure out what they did with the players in that inning. As I said, if the 2 books cant come to an agreement, then the home book is the official book.

Sep 5, 2012
While it is technically true that the umpire isn't the scorekeeper, they should be keeping the score! It's a simple matter to keep track of & confirm the number of runs scored each half inning. Not all leagues have official scorekeepers & leaving it solely in the hands of the home team is not always prudent.

To the OP,
If you were having an ongoing problem with the home scorekeeper, you should've had someone with your book sitting right beside them keeping tabs. That would have immediately cut out any nonsense!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Umpire isnt the scorekeeper. If they happen to have something in the way of information that can help that is fine, but they shouldnt be stopping the game for a protracted discussion about the score. The 2 books need to get together and figure out what they did with the players in that inning. As I said, if the 2 books cant come to an agreement, then the home book is the official book.

What if, as in the OP's case, the home team wasn't amenable to even reviewing the book to see if there was an obvious problem? What's the umpire's role? And is this protestable?

What if, as in the OP's case, the home team wasn't amenable to even reviewing the book to see if there was an obvious problem? What's the umpire's role? And is this protestable?

Not sure the umpire has a role, although obviously the umpire does have to know the score to determine whether the home team needs to bat, but they would just ask the official scorekeeper. The problem is the home team scorekeeper is not the home team scorekeeper they are the "official scorekeeper." Not sure if it is protestable but as the coach I would not start the inning without getting the TD or his rep to tell them what was going on, ultimately I would think TD has the final say.

Mar 2, 2013
While it is technically true that the umpire isn't the scorekeeper, they should be keeping the score! It's a simple matter to keep track of & confirm the number of runs scored each half inning. Not all leagues have official scorekeepers & leaving it solely in the hands of the home team is not always prudent.

To the OP,
If you were having an ongoing problem with the home scorekeeper, you should've had someone with your book sitting right beside them keeping tabs. That would have immediately cut out any nonsense!

Wrong. In fact, if an umpire is caught keeping score, he ought to be spoken to. That's ridiculous. Everyone has a role. Contrary to popular belief, it is the SCOREKEEPER'S job to KEEP SCORE. No umpire manual and no rule book permits umpires to keep score. To the contrary, they're supposed to avoid initiating conversation and limit their speech to what is occurring on the field, not in a book.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

To the OP,

Not a shot! Unless the game is nearing the run-rule point, I couldn't care less what the score is or who is keeping it. If I overhear two different scores, I WILL direct the teams to get the books together and figure it out. I continue with the game.

In any game where there hasn't been a scorekeeper, the direction is that the home book is official.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd