Rec. League Player – Temper Issue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sometimes you think things thru while you ask a question. Besides getting good advice you get your head sorted out a little bit.

She is an OK girl and I do not mind my DD playing with her 95% of the time. I do not mind working with her in practice, I just leave her alone and let her settle down then things are OK again. My DD is ms social and avoids her, only girl I have ever seen her avoid in any of her activities.

This is an Issue that is above my pay grade so I do not want my DD involved, heck I do not want to be involved either.

I am going to grab last year’s Manager, our other assistant coach and have a brief conversation with the commissioner. I think the situation can be managed were no one gets hurt if her Manger is prepared and has a plan of action.

Jul 28, 2008
Being on the board of a rec league for many years, I can tell you that requests that little Susie not play with little Mary were quite common. And we were required to do our best to abide by the parent's wishes.

If I were in your shoes, I would go that route first.

May 25, 2010
I'm really reluctant to brand someone on the basis of thought crime.

If all she does is withdraw into her own world and ignore everyone else - even authority figures like parents or coaches - for 5-10 minutes, I'm not seeing how she's really that much of a danger to herself or others. It's not like she's kicking the fence or grabbing a bat and pounding the dirt repeatedly.

I know that we're talking about one player and that your primary concern is for your daughter, but unless you have a good faith belief that this kid is liable to commit a violent act on the field (like maybe you've seen her push another player), then I don't like the precedent you'd be setting by starting a rumor about her.

You may see it as 'just giving a heads up' based on your experience and observations, but someone on that board is friends with her parents and your talking about her translates into potentially harmful gossip.

I know your heart is in the right place, but you know what they say about the road to Hell. Just something to think about...

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
We had a girl very simular to that on our teem one time. When she got mad head coach would make her sit on the bench until she could controll herself. If it happened again, he would send her home. (it usually happened during practice) I don't recall him ever having to send her home, but she would sit every 2 or 3 practices. She was also a good player and good friends with most other players, including my daughter. I thought she was bi-polar, but now she seems to have grown out of it. She was 11 when she played with us, is 14 now.

Good luck with it, I feel your pain.

May 13, 2008
We had a girl very simular to that on our teem one time. When she got mad head coach would make her sit on the bench until she could controll herself. If it happened again, he would send her home. (it usually happened during practice) I don't recall him ever having to send her home, but she would sit every 2 or 3 practices. She was also a good player and good friends with most other players, including my daughter. I thought she was bi-polar, but now she seems to have grown out of it. She was 11 when she played with us, is 14 now.

Good luck with it, I feel your pain.

This.

I'm a little surprised it took so long for someone to suggest this. If you're going to bench someone for disciplinary reasons I also think it is important that you tell the player why they are being benched.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12