Rec Ball: What I love, What I hate...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I love coaching. But REC BALL...it can be a challenge!
This is NOT a finished list...

What I love:
When a girl gets her first hit of the season during the last game, and every girl in the dugout screams like it was a homer!
Thank You's from the parents
When I ask "who practiced outside of practice?" and only the girls who really did raise their hands.
Telling a girl who wasn't paying attention to take a lap, and the whole team joins her in unity.
During batting practice, when a girl swings and misses, she immediately looks at me and says "I know. You don't have to say it. I need to keep my eyes on the ball."
Hugs after a game, whether or not they won.
That bottle of Gatorade at the end of a game.
Hearing "I got it! I got it!" from the infield.
Watching an overthrow at first get stopped by the right fielder.
Dirty pants at the end of a game.
My DD telling me she's so glad I'm her coach.

What I hate:
Rain
League members who are afraid the girls will get hurt playing ball.
Parents who think it's okay to have their DD there 5 minutes before the game starts.
Parents who text while their DD is at bat, and they never even look up.
Ump's who hang out in the other teams dugout between innings, joking with the other coaches. (I'm jealous)
Parents who want their kid to play more than their kid wants it.
Baseball dads who yell during games because their DD isn't leading off at first while the pitcher still has the ball.
Parents who carry their DD's bag, because "it's just so heavy."
Losing my cool.
Missing my son's BB game because it is at the same time as my DD's SB game.

:cool:

Mar 15, 2010
What I love:
Seeing a first time player go from never having picked up a glove to catching a pop-up 6 weeks later. Pure joy on her face.
Having the entire team make contact with the ball during a game. Not necessarily getting a hit but at least putting the ball in play.
A girl who has practiced her pitching diligently for weeks getting her first start and striking out her fist batter.

What I hate:
Bleacher parents telling my pitcher to throw strikes. Trust me she already knows that.
Dropped Third Strikes that turn into home runs as the ball is thrown around the field.
Entitlement attitude. I have always played First so I only play First.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
What I love:
When a girl gets her first hit of the season during the last game, and every girl in the dugout screams like it was a homer!

Saw this happen last year. Not in one of our games, but between two of the other teams in our league ( DD and I walked over to watch after our final game had ended)

Sweetest girl, last inning of their last game, and had never gotten a hit. I was standing near her coach, and could hear his heart beating, as he'd promised all season that she "would get hers". Two swinging strikes, two foul balls, and then finally dunks one just over second base.

Everyone knew what was going on. Pile-on at first base, and even high-fives from the opposing team infielders AND pitcher.

One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Timothy - That was a Guidepost moment.

Last night was good. I gave a clinic for 12 LL girls, ages 8 through 10.

One little girl had a baseball bat. :)

We started with throwing and ended with hitting. The girls were enthused, listening, trying to peek at the boys on the next field and asking lots of questions.

At times, it was like herding ducks, but it was all good.

What I love, - at the end of practice, one little girl ran up to her mom and proclaimed "I want to pitch!". Yeah.

Jan 30, 2010
Your list is spot on with mine..Some priceless moments and some gray hair moments.
Gatta love it!!
One more I love it:
When most of the parents request you as coach next year

Last edited:

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Great list stephanie.

Personally, there isn't anything that I "hate" about coaching rec ball. All of the things in that part of your list are true and an annoyance to be sure, but they happen either due to pure inexperience "Dads yelling baseball things" or to choice "Missing sons BB game".

I stopped coaching last year because my DD is playing at a level that I have no business coaching at. I plan to continue coaching girls softball when I can no longer watch DD play.

I LOVE coaching the younger girls for all of the reasons listed and I am looking forward to having the experience again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission