Rebuilding Confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2012
DD had been steadily getting better and better. She had a great tournament where she won all 3 games she pitched. Best I'd ever seen her. Two weeks later, she had a horrible weekend (last tournament of the season). Lost every game she pitched and had to be pulled during middle of second inning of every game she pitched except for two even though she probably should have been pulled in those two games, too. Since then she has been lacking confidence although not all the time but pretty regularly. She drives hard off the pitching rubber but then shortens her stride in order to try to control where pitch goes. This causes several issues: screws up her timing, tightens her arm early in the arm circle (which I believe is an attempt to slow down the arm), reduces arm whip, and then she ends up bending at the waist but it is not bowling type bend. It is her slamming into her front leg but the shorter stride causes her to bend over her front leg (hope that makes sense). All of this leads to reduced speed, reduced spin, reduced whip, and reduced consistency hitting her spots. Been working on correcting this for month and a half. Have tournaments starting up again in about 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
This does sound like a confidence issue,,, one being caused by mechanics issue/s.

Get her to an instructor before bad habits get set in deep.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
no definite suggestions, but just wanted to let you know that you have peers.

My DD started doing this, last weekend, when pitching in a tournament that we were absent from during pool play, because we we on vacation all week at the beach. We only threw once that whole week off, and so she came in to start elimination games pretty "cold".

Rough start, walked a fair amount of batters, due to her control being a bit off.
Her solution, and the results, were just as you've described.
I will add that another "symptom" was a late-release, too far forward of her body.

She eventually battled through it.
Part of what we did to correct, was that i had her start off each inning with a few "walk-throughs" from behind and up to the mound for her first few practice pitches. Told here to just stay loose and relaxed, but increase her arm speed and throw hard, no worries if these warm-up pitches are strikes or not. This seemed to help alleviate the tightness. Then for regular practice pitches, the cue was to really concentrate upon staying aggressive with her load/push-off/stride. With my DD anyway, if the pitch starts out with the legs "hanging back" and a very upright body position at push-off, this translates to a weak pitch and lesser control.

it's amazing how if confidence falters, how quickly things can fall apart.

Luckily for us, this was just a temporary "affliction",
and she got back to pitching like her old self eventually, later that day in a different game.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I know not everyone likes them, but walk-throughs are relaxing to me and I encourage kids to use them just as corlay described.

The mental game is huge. Taking the tools from practice and past game experience into each and every pitch with confidence is key in becoming a good pitcher. Some kids have it naturally and just need the pitching skills while others develop the skills but need to learn confidence and the gamer mentality. Finding that kid with natural ability, a gamer mentality, supportive parents/coaches and the willingness to work towards good form... That's the ticket.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If all else fails, give her some 'Secret Weapons'.

They always work to build confidence. Teaching them strong, fast and aggressive mechanics that CANNOT be contained by slow, weak step style pitching is a start.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
Hal - that was a shameless plug.

She does have a pitching coach that she has seen since this popped up. She is seeing him again next week. Unfortunately, she doesn't do it at her lessons. She is Miss Confident pitching to him at her lessons. She loves the walk-thru drill and looks great when she does it - strong drive, nice stride, tall, loose whippy arm. It is not all the time, so I think she just needs to rebuild confidence by pitching. When she does walk-thru, she is just throwing to her catcher who is set up middle of plate. Does anyone have DD pitch locations while doing walk-thru? We see her pitching coach this week so definitely will talk to him.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Jnew,

you are correct. I put it in as few words as possible and still say what needed to be said.

Someone possibly gave her some false hope / confidence? It apperently didnt pass the test.

Many instructors teach mechanics only. They will send a young pitcher out and let the batters give them the rest of their education over time.

Ever see a pitcher that knows she is 'Just another pitcher', nothing special? Never let her reach that point.

Team coaches, that is a different kettle of fish when it comes to pitching confidence. "Sarah, ball hit to you, you go there. Debbie, ball hit to you, you go therte, Michelle, ball...." You have seen and heard them do it. The coach expects the pitch to be hit, that is EXACTLY what the pitcher will think. Really inspires confidence in a pitcher. You can tell, just look at the pitchers face as the coach is saying that.

Do what you feel is best. Good luck. Teaching them strong, fast and aggressive mechanics that CANNOT be contained by slow, weak step style pitching is a start.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1