Ready for a rise or drop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
It's interesting how different pitchers take naturally to different pitches. My DD's best pitch for ages was her change up. All the IR work we've done has messed with it a little, and made her fastball better, so they're more equal now, but for the longest time the change up was far and away her best pitch. I mean, she only knows 4 and one we won't let her throw (screwball) but still.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Ok, so a little update on DD...We've been working on FB and CU but most importantly on Drive Mechanics and Front Side Resistance. She did have an indoor tourney 2 weekends ago and did great. Had 15 Ks first game, 12 Ks 2nd, and 14Ks in the championship game. The 1 put out was pretty cool because it was a bunt that was executed amazingly by our girls! Thank you guys for everything and I'll post a video as soon as I can. Softball season is here!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
To your original question, it looks like she already has a lot of drop spin in her fastball, she has a feel for a fingers up/over pitch, I would start her playing with the riseball to get the feel for the fingers down/under action. It wont be ready for a while but no reason not to start the process now if she is throwing over 50 already. IMO aside from a changeup that can be thrown 1000 different ways, there really are only two pitches in softball, fingers over and fingers under, everything else is a variation of these two. I see most pitchers as being one or the other and I see the best pitchers as being both.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I would absolutely encourage learning the grip, slice, and palm up rise mechanics now. No reason at all to wait. As far as a drop ball is concerned she's already got the foundation built, the first adjustment needing made is to get the back hip higher than the front at the moment of release, and imagine throwing off a baseball mound (down hill). This will change the release angle and boom...instant down movement! Continue to work on accuracy of hitting corners. Remember that spin is equally important as speed! pay attention to the balls spin axis by having all her practice balls stripped across the 4 seams.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2013
MN
It is probably accurate to say that for most pitchers it is harder to learn a rise. But you never know. Mine never could throw a palm up curve, or rollover drop but was throwing a legit rise within a month. For her it is a natural pitch. Whatever comes natural to your DD get her to go all in with that pitch and help her own it. :)

^^^This! My 8th grader still struggles with the drop, it is still a very mediocre pitch for her, but she gets decent backspin on her rise. She certainly took lots longer than a month to throw it but it definitely came more naturally to her. We started her just getting comfortable with spinning it then added K's at the end of each practice session. She was throwing it in games after about three months of this spinning practice.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Thank you guys for everything. You have all made this journey so much easier. I don't think I can thank everyone on DFP enough! I love that idea JJ and CJ. I will definitely let her know tonight. Kid has a ball in her hand at least 2 hrs a day including her off days and definitely would make sense for her to work on spins. We do work a lot on 2 and 4 seam fastballs and finger pressure. When they work it's pretty cool to see that ball move and when it doesn't well it's still a hard FB. Her CU is a flip and we also work on off speed which is just more hand on the ball. You guys got me thinking now about the RB! I'm gonna learn it first so see you guys in 5 yes lol thank you all for your contributions!!

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
We'll definitely work on it! Thanks catchermom. I'm so lucky to have found this wonderful forum and be able to learn from other DFP members that have gone through or are going through this wonderful journey. The amount of info that we have used thanks to all our great contributors is priceless.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Ok, so a little update on DD...We've been working on FB and CU but most importantly on Drive Mechanics and Front Side Resistance. She did have an indoor tourney 2 weekends ago and did great. Had 15 Ks first game, 12 Ks 2nd, and 14Ks in the championship game. The 1 put out was pretty cool because it was a bunt that was executed amazingly by our girls! Thank you guys for everything and I'll post a video as soon as I can. Softball season is here!!

Awesome she is having so much success early!

Though if this trend continues you should consider moving her up levels (or just playing against tougher teams) ASAP. Being good is great but dominating while young is one of the easiest ways to stall development, just IMO. Challenges are always good!!

Jun 15, 2011
first off, she looks great! Love her energy. With that said, I agree with Seattle. If she is that dominate, she should move up a level or 2. Just don't want her to be satisfied, because that could effect her work ethic. Tell my DD to be happy, but never be satisfied. Enjoy the ride, it goes way too fast.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Thanks SC and Vino! Its funny you guys bring that up. I discussed that with DDs HC over the winter. His worry were the 4-5 girls we have that weren't gonna be able to deal with the size of the ball. So I told him that we're either gonna have to travel a ton or play up. I rather save some money than drive 3-8 hrs for some great competition lol Another issue he had was the 5ft jump for our pitchers. I explained to him that we had done this with my oldest and was never an issue( I was a coach). I also brought up the point that why are we holding back the other 7 girls? If they're capable of somewhat competing or trying at 12u then why not give them the opportunity. Granted, we'll get spanked but its a learning experience for our girls. The guy loves to win which we all do but what are they learning? Nothing! So a few weeks ago we get our schedule and I'm glad to say that we are signed up for 2 12u local tourneys! My DD has learned a ton from this sport. She's always played 10A from the age of 7. Now, she wasn't pitching at that age of course but she was in the batters box and was one of our best bunters. From the time she was 7-9 we had some great losses and some amazing wins. Usually, when we'd win it was against poor pitching but you had to celebrate with them because 70-90% of the time we were getting beat by big 10u team . I have to say she is on a new team so when I say "we" I mean DD and her old teammates. So I can only hope that she remembers those days because it's not over yet! Haha thank you guys

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd