Rated the best coach in TB? Why? It's a Crying Shame.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
At 12's second year we joined this local larger org that had a head who was known to be a badass. His claim to fame was how hard he pushed the girls, but he did get girls placed in good programs. Our first workout was in a large warehouse that was divided into 4 large areas. We dropped off the girls with their coach and us parents went to the waiting area. A few minutes later the head of the org came into the room and invited us to watch a tryout for his 18u gold team. We all wanted to see it so we walked out and stood by the wall waiting for the tryout. The org head called us over along with our 12 year old's. We made a big circle around the group of 30 or so girls trying out. The org head looks at his clipboard and says "We have one spot open, you have 90 minutes to show me you have what it takes" then walks away. Girls start working out and us 12 year old parents were like wow... these kids can ball. We were thinking that this guy may have a hard time picking just one.
90 minutes on the dot he calls everyone back into the circle. Walks in the middle and I kid you not.. says "No one made it" and just walks away. Leaves the whole group standing there... us parents were like wtf... the tryout parents were confused, the girls looked upset and that was it. No thank you for coming, no try harder next time, or good luck with finding a team... nothing... We played one year there and knew we needed to get out. Good that we did that org started to fall apart.

Jan 27, 2021
Second thing: you can often pick these guys out by there social media reposts. It’s all stuff attempting to justify “tough coaching”. Dropping f bombs and screaming at teenagers isn’t tough coaching no matter how many Geno Auriemma vids you post.

I cannot agree more. I see parents put up with this and later defend it and just cannot fathom what they are thinking. I’m 1/2 a tree hugging hippie scout leader though so my perspective is skewed. But if I talked to any of my boys and girls like some of the coaches I have witnessed I would probably be hit with charges

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is not soccer. There is no governing or controlling body. Maybe Child Protection Services.
The closest thing softball has is the ASA ACE certification, but that just give you a card saying that you passed the classes. Our rec league (baseball, softball, soccer, football, lacrosse, basketball) requires coaches to attend a PCA(Positive Coach Alliance) every 2 years. Some coaches need reminders!

Oct 4, 2018
OP: Sounds like a major vacuum company and starts with a "D" ??? :unsure: LOL... I can't figure out who it is... what region of the country?

Out here the main ones are:
Firecrackers (Rico)
Batbusters (Lastrapes/Stith)
Corona Angels (Tyson/Jordan)
So Cal Athletics (Mercado)
Cal Cruisers (Sievers)
Ohana Tigers (??)

Gimme a hint....

EDIT:...AHHH, I know who now... just came to me about the vacuum reference. YES, I completely agree. I've been to a couple coaching clinics with him and seen youtube clips of his coaching "style". I'll pass for my DD. Still not sure what his past "credentials" are and why he's thought of so highly.

Interesting list of teams.

I'm in Georgia. Very close to a county called East Cobb. It's a suburb of Atlanta. Not much special about it. A guy started an Org here in the 1990s called East Cobb Bullets. Some of you may know it as EC Bullets or just Bullets.

Turns out there are teams all over, including many in California. I always crack up thinking if any of the Bullets girls in California wonder what EC means or have any idea where East Cobb is. Probably not.

And we have played games against Firecracker and Batbuster teams here in Georgia. Haven't run across the others on this list.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA

I'm in Georgia. Very close to a county called East Cobb. It's a suburb of Atlanta. Not much special about it. A guy started an Org here in the 1990s called East Cobb Bullets. Some of you may know it as EC Bullets or just Bullets.

Turns out there are teams all over, including many in California. I always crack up thinking if any of the Bullets girls in California wonder what EC means or have any idea where East Cobb is. Probably not.

And we have played games against Firecracker and Batbuster teams here in Georgia. Haven't run across the others on this list.

We do, however, have Texas Glory and Tennessee Mojo here in GA. The East Cobb thing always makes me laugh a little too.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib

I know of a player on a satellite bullets team that lists her team as “East Coast Bullets”. Strange her coach doesn’t correct that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: