Rated the best coach in TB? Why? It's a Crying Shame.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes. Pretty commonly known in our little circle. I'm not a fan. Mainly because I think these 10, 11, 12 year old girls should all learn and experience base-running. Also, how crappy is it to say: "Nice hit, that was awesome. You're benched!"

While I agree completely that young players should all be learning the fundamentals of the game (including base-running skills), it sounds like someone might be getting the wrong message about the value of CRs. My DD is a big hitter, but not speedy. She is a pretty savvy base-runner, but she knows darn well that her team has a better chance to put a run on the board with one of our serious speedsters in her spot on the bases. If you're playing a game to win, give your team the best chance to win. If you're playing to practice skills, adjust your plan to fit that goal.

Oct 4, 2018
You will never hear me tell a coach about another coach when I am officiating. But yes, umpires talk. As I said it - it is normally a bunch of old gossips. Coaches get reputations - and these are often part of a pre-game discussion between officials.

We have trouble scheduling 2 high school coaches because most of the umpires refuse to go there and the coaches have blocked other umpires over various perceived slights.

For one coach during one of the meetings, we were provided instructions to ALWAYS announce the count loudly when it reaches a 2 ball/whatever strike count because he teaches his batters to run to first on ball 3 when there are runners on base and then pretend it wasn't intentional. It was his new 'loophole' and he had been bragging to people how it worked so well. That has put a stop to that.

There a couple who teach their players to intentionally run into fielders to get obstruction calls.

Another I ALWAYS go over the look back rule pre-game with the other official because they do a lot of walking around the bases trying to draw throws with a runner on third (high level longtime HS/travel coach - not some 10U idiot)

I gotta admit I was a bit surprised when the ump told me about the other coach. I just said "thank you" and asked him how his day was going. It seemed to me a bit out of place, but made me realize how bad the coach must be for an ump to tell me.

Oct 4, 2018
While I agree completely that young players should all be learning the fundamentals of the game (including base-running skills), it sounds like someone might be getting the wrong message about the value of CRs. My DD is a big hitter, but not speedy. She is a pretty savvy base-runner, but she knows darn well that her team has a better chance to put a run on the board with one of our serious speedsters in her spot on the bases. If you're playing a game to win, give your team the best chance to win. If you're playing to practice skills, adjust your plan to fit that goal.

Agreed. But coaches in 10U and 12U do it without any regard to the situation. Frustrating to see my DD hit a double and then not get to be involved in that half-inning any more. Especially in a pool game, a blowout, etc. etc.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Unless they actually break the rules there is nothing we can/should do during a game. It is not our role - they can coach however they like. We certainly do discuss them - most umpire rooms are a bunch of old gossips.

Our org has strict behavior rules for our coaches. And our teams tend to be on the 'A' side of travel - so we are in a position to keep coaches like this out because our coaches have been around long enough to establish a reputation. We have turned away various coaches who wanted to be part of our org in the past. It has short-term occasionally lost us some players and even a full team or two who went to another org because Coach A$$ went there after we said 'no', but long term it has been beneficial to our rep.

We have also occasionally turned some teams from our tournaments because of certain coaches - but not many - and it was generally because they have been thrown out multiple times, not how they coached their players.

There is another post going on currently, the one about 7th and 8th graders playing Varsity ball. The reason I bring that post up is because in it, I quoted an excerpt from the NFHS mission statement regarding academic athletics. One of the points of emphasis for the NFHS and for many of the state associations is sportsmanship. Under that umbrella, it is proper and expected that, if an umpire witnesses the sort of conduct being talked about in this thread, they file a report with the state association and also inform the school administration about it. I do not know if the TB orgs give even lip-service to sportsmanship, but if they don't perhaps some words from parents towards that goal would not be out of line. Just a thought.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
if an umpire witnesses the sort of conduct being talked about in this thread, they file a report with the state association. Who is the ump or TB parent or AC going to report to?

Hey, not all heads of orgs. are total a-holes. I remember a few years back (DD was catching a bullpen at FC warehouse) and I was introduced to Tony Rico. I had heard of him but never laid eyes on him. I was like 'no flipping way.' I had him ( please forgive me) pictured (stereotyped) in my mind as a large, unapproachable, probably tatted up hispanic dude. I was so wrong. He didn't know me at all at the time but he was engaging and personal. Encouraging to my DD even knowing she was not a FC. Quite a calm and gentle man. I know he has made a lot of money thru softball but I got nothing against legally making money.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
if an umpire witnesses the sort of conduct being talked about in this thread, they file a report with the state association. Who is the ump or TB parent or AC going to report to?

I presume every TB team has some sort of organization or controlling body to whom the coach is responsible.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
My DD was on a team with a coach like to OP mentions. He was horrible. Berating girls during a game all the time. It was my first taste of TB and thankfully she has found a great coach that helped her find a collage home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 28, 2014
If a kid is good enough they don't need a coach like that. Find a coach that plays the game the right way.

Mar 6, 2016

Hey, not all heads of orgs. are total a-holes. I remember a few years back (DD was catching a bullpen at FC warehouse) and I was introduced to Tony Rico. I had heard of him but never laid eyes on him. I was like 'no flipping way.' I had him ( please forgive me) pictured (stereotyped) in my mind as a large, unapproachable, probably tatted up hispanic dude. I was so wrong. He didn't know me at all at the time but he was engaging and personal. Encouraging to my DD even knowing she was not a FC. Quite a calm and gentle man. I know he has made a lot of money thru softball but I got nothing against legally making money.

Good to hear. My DD just started in the FC Org. Long way before Rico's 18u team and things change, but glad to hear a good impression. I've heard others say he's a good guy and nothing out of the ordinary or negative. So that's good.

It was a different feel/impression for my older DD when she played for a different big org out here in So cal. The "Guru" from this org came to my DD 10u team's practice and ran through drills like he was coaching 18u girls and yelled and screamed the whole time and multiple girls from the team ended up with sore arms for 2 weeks along with a very unfriendly impression of that guy. Myself and a couple other Dads just shook our heads and all agreed....NOPE..won't be playing for that guy.

Mar 6, 2016
OP: Sounds like a major vacuum company and starts with a "D" ??? :unsure: LOL... I can't figure out who it is... what region of the country?

Out here the main ones are:
Firecrackers (Rico)
Batbusters (Lastrapes/Stith)
Corona Angels (Tyson/Jordan)
So Cal Athletics (Mercado)
Cal Cruisers (Sievers)
Ohana Tigers (??)

Gimme a hint....

EDIT:...AHHH, I know who now... just came to me about the vacuum reference. YES, I completely agree. I've been to a couple coaching clinics with him and seen youtube clips of his coaching "style". I'll pass for my DD. Still not sure what his past "credentials" are and why he's thought of so highly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying