Radar Monitor.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2021
I am looking at setting up a monitor so my daughter can easily see her speeds. My thought is that she can see if she is doing things that will help her improve. I have seen a few setups but have know idea how they work. Radar gun best placement, how to hook up a monitor for easy viewing. We are using a bushnell velocity gun. Looking for ideas.

May 16, 2016
Pocket Radar Smart Coach. Then a cheap Samsung/iPad tablet with the pocket radar app loaded. Set the Pocket Radar and Tablet on a tripod. Turn the tablet screen towards pitcher, and they can easily see their pitch speed. You can get a tablet tripod mount on Amazon for $10.

Oct 4, 2018
Be warned, this set up could lead to her doing things mechanically incorrect just to see higher numbers. I've noticed this tends to happen most when there isn't a parent/coach/instructor around.

And so if you're going to be around, using a radar gun and just calling out to her works fine.

Sep 28, 2021
Its actually the opposite for us right now. We see her doing things mechanically wrong. She is throwing mid 50s but could improve dramatically if she fixes a few things. Im thinking if we show her it will increase speed, she will be more likely to keep those wheels in motion.

Aug 15, 2021
The constant monitoring of speed seems to get in my DD's head. She ends up focusing more on speed than her mechanics. I have moved away from checking her speed and we just do it once in a while now.

Nov 22, 2019
Be warned, this set up could lead to her doing things mechanically incorrect just to see higher numbers. I've noticed this tends to happen most when there isn't a parent/coach/instructor around.

And so if you're going to be around, using a radar gun and just calling out to her works fine.
Wouldn’t pitching mechanically correct lead to higher speeds not the other way around?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa

Absolutely.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The constant monitoring of speed seems to get in my DD's head. She ends up focusing more on speed than her mechanics. I have moved away from checking her speed and we just do it once in a while now.

There’s a whole theory on immediate vs delayed feedback.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00