Questions to ask college coaches during an unofficial visit....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has been invited to a couple of camps for "unofficial visits" this month. Does anyone have any suggestions on questions we need to ask the coaches while we are there? I want to take advantage of the ability to speak directly with the coaches and learn as much as we can to make an informed decision in case one of them decides to offer.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
here are a few that should help:

How many others are you considering recruiting at your position?

What is the level of interest in me?

How much playing time can you expect as a freshman?

What is the practice schedule like in the fall verses the spring and then during the season?

Does the coach expect to be at the school for all 4 years of your college, or do they plan on leaving if a better opportunity comes up?

How do you run your practices?

How long is a typical practice?

How does the School and Administration view the Softball Program, players and Coaching Staff?

Do players have access to facilities for extra or individual workouts?

Would the incoming players consider practices hard?

How many players do you carry on away trips – do any players on the roster not travel?

What is your approach to the game, meaning are you aggressive offensively, stealing bases, hit and runs, etc?

How do you deal with the relationship between class and athletics?

How do you accommodate classes and exams that conflict with practices and games?

What about academic support? Meaning; does the school provide tutors for the players if needed?

What is the team GPA?

What is the team graduation rate?

What are some of the majors of team players?

How many assistant coaches are there?

Where do you see the program in next 3-4 years?

Do players stay in the same dorms with other students or are there separate dorms for players?

Do players eat in the dining halls?

Does the team try to eat together?

What percentage of freshmen ends up being on the team for all four years? Is that your goal to have incoming players there for all 4 years?

What are some of the reasons that players are let go from the program or leave the program?

How safe is the Campus?

How supportive is the school on the local community and vice versa?

Mar 26, 2013
My DD has been invited to a couple of camps for "unofficial visits" this month. Does anyone have any suggestions on questions we need to ask the coaches while we are there? I want to take advantage of the ability to speak directly with the coaches and learn as much as we can to make an informed decision in case one of them decides to offer.
Did the schools offer to combine an unofficial visit with the camp (i.e. additional time outside the camp and some of that privately with the coach)?

First, your DD should be the one to actually ask the questions. She shouldn't bother asking questions you can find answers from other sources (e.g. #coaches, 4-year players) and/or ones which the coach can't/won't give a definitive answer (e.g. playing time, coach's career plans).

If your DD gets to spend time with current players, she should try to find out as much as she can about their personal experiences and the coach(es) from multiple players (e.g. recruiting experience/negotiations, coaching style, fairness when renewing athletic $, etc).

Jun 18, 2010
First, your DD should be the one to actually ask the questions.

Why is that? Are there any questions appropriate for the parents to ask? It seems odd that the parents wouldn't be able to ask questions when they may be the ones financing any and all expenses not covered by scholarship offers.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Another one for the coach - Why did non-returning players decide not to play in recent years?
And one for the players - Would you be happy here if you didn't play softball?

Mar 26, 2013
Heck, I've known girls to go for an unofficial visit and not see the coach at all.
Yeah, some people consider any visit to a campus other than an official visit to be an unofficial visit. I consider it just a visit unless there is a recruiting interaction with an athletic program.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JAD,I don't know your relationship with these coaches or their interest in your dd so keep my response in perspective. Often, colleges ask players to their camps that they might have heard of or know of a program or ... and they really don't know much about the player at all. In some ways, it is a money maker. We found that out when my dd was invited to a camp when she was 12. The coaching staff thought she was much older. Again, my dd was always bigger than most.

For that unofficial visit, I'd really be picky about what I do and don't ask. If you give the impression that you are "that dad" then your dd is done with that program. I recall one camp/visit my dd went to where one of the dads asked about the coach's hitting philosophy. Didn't do well as the coach basically said within everyone hearing that he will coach the girls in his style and so, if that is a problem then don't come back. Funny how one general question after one of these camps where parents were asked to participate in question and answer went South quickly.

DD also went to the type of camp you describe that was to be the camp (wink) unofficial visit. I believe most had somewhere between 15 and 20 invites and then others. At one, while they were breaking down dd's swing in a "film room," the coach asked the parents to go in as well. That was where they let you know what they really thought. I loved the breakdown and knew that the staff was very good from the start. They wanted dd to consider a verbal commitment but no pressure. Then we talked about level of interest (vague answer), monies available (vague answer because other factors), ... I'd be careful asking to many questions about how they run their program until you know they have a real interest.

Some advice we found helpful was talking to other players, taking a tour of the campus but noticing the practice/playing facilities, getting a course book and talking to people admissions about entrance requirements, ... Hope this helps.

A lot of the stuff you can find out on your own on the school's website. For example, schools have to post information about criminal activity, assaults, rapes, etc. on their website.

Mar 26, 2013
First, your DD should be the one to actually ask the questions.
Why is that? Are there any questions appropriate for the parents to ask? It seems odd that the parents wouldn't be able to ask questions when they may be the ones financing any and all expenses not covered by scholarship offers.
Colleges are recruiting the player, not the parents, so it is best to prepare the DD to handle as much as possible. Coaches will generally give the parents an opportunity to ask questions and they should wait until then.

This is just one of several 'best practices' that some parents find very difficult (e.g. stop coaching from bleachers, have DD handle issues with their coaches, have DD contact college coaches).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Did the schools offer to combine an unofficial visit with the camp (i.e. additional time outside the camp and some of that privately with the coach)?

Yes, DD was invited to do an unofficial visit before the camp in one instance and after the camp in the other.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi