question regarding what the coach said at clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
At the Showcase Clinic yesterday towards the end, one of the coaches basically said, we are going to time base running. If you are not fast, you can leave. We were not all built for speed... just look at me. There is no need to showcase something that is not your strength.
At that point a lot of girls decided to leave, including my DD. However, a lot of very large girls stayed, including two girls that we know very well that aren't big but are extremely slow. Should we have stayed? DD isn't a speedster, however pretty much everyone is surpised at how fast she is for her size and she is certainly faster than the two we know. I didn't know if this was some sort of a mind game, or if this was just the way it is. I know football players refuse to do certain tests for the scouting combine.

Dec 7, 2011
In the fickle world of recruiting it may very well have been a test.

I am viewing it this way => "go for it" until you are told "you are not a part of this team, or this competition, or any other thing a college coach is part of.

Another analogy is => there are plenty of folks out there that will tell you that you are not good enough so don't tell yourself that before they do. You might be wrong!

18GoldDad

Livin the Dream!!!
May 13, 2012
Left Coast

I am viewing it this way => "go for it" until you are told "you are not a part of this team, or this competition, or any other thing a college coach is part of.

Another analogy is => there are plenty of folks out there that will tell you that you are not good enough so don't tell yourself that before they do. You might be wrong!

I've been with my DD to several Clinics and College Camps I can't believe a coach or someone running this event would say that. That would have p***** me off just a bit.

I tend to lean towards RB's thoughts, could have been a test to see which players were going to step up and battle. Even if your DD ran and turned in a less than desirable time it would have gave her an idea of what she needed to work on and a goal to set for the next time she was timed.

I probably would have left the decision to stay up to my DD. However, I would have encouraged her to do so.

If I were the person evaluating this players I would have wanted to see them run no matter what.

Oct 10, 2011

That's pretty much how I felt but DW said "Why? the coach said if you are a speedster." DD agreed with her and wanted to go to her team practice and we were pushing it for time. Next time, we'll stay.

Apr 9, 2012
Sue Enquist said it best " I was never fast despite what they said about me. I was 175 lbs and I cheated. I was softball fast but not athletically fast."

She read the pitch and jumped the location. She left early as she could on steals. She ran with "savvy".

Oct 10, 2011
I personally wanted to see how she did because she's been working with a trainer on technique etc, and has lost some weight. Next time...live and learn.

Sep 18, 2011
My daughter is also one of those players with "deceptive speed." But, alas, in her case, she's deceptively slow. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy