Question regarding ASA Roster Rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My DD's club team plays ASA 12U A tournaments. Once they've completed their ASA circuit, would she be able to play ASA 14U B for her town travel team through a roster change? I know she can't go from A to B within the same age group. Does this also apply to playing up from 12U to 14U? I can't find anything in the rules on this. My guess is once an A, always and A regardless of age. All opinions appreciated.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Normally a 12U A team could play as a 14U C team. So I wouldn't think it to be an issue. The issue I have seen is when a 12U eligible is playing 14U B and trys to drop to a 12U C.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Are you playing regular tournaments or qualifiers? Around here the ASA Qualifiers are the only tournaments where they are strict about registration and redlining. Once you register and play in a qualifier you are not allowed to change age groups and can only change teams with permission from ASA.

Mar 26, 2013
Interesting question I've wondered about - going up in age to a lower class. ASA Code says you can't move down to a lower classification and points out there are 2 elements (age and class), however it doesn't specify whether they're handled separately or in combo.

ASA usually only cares about this stuff for championship play (i.e. qualifiers and beyond) and players aren't classified until they participate in the first qualifier. It should only be an issue if both teams will be in championship play.

You should ask your state/metro association's JO Rep.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Are you playing regular tournaments or qualifiers?

We're only playing a few ASA invitationals, no qualifiers. PONY is where we focus on qualifiers for Nationals. And the town team only plays a couple tourneys just to give the town travel girls the tourney experience beyond league games, so no qualifiers there either.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. She's played both town travel and club tourneys in the past without issue. But her new club is a well known elite program and the coach was worried that some B coaches might make waves for us. I'll just have her leave her club bag at home for town travel tourneys!

Jan 20, 2010
Once she is on a "championship" roster she is locked to that roster. Until that time she is free to play up with anyone. But if that team she plays up for is a "championship roster" team if they win....she is tied to that roster. Free movementin ASA until right before state. Once at state they turn in a championship roster to play. She is then locked to that roster. No more playing up at that time.

Of course the ASA commish can do what ever they like in your area and may not have problem with it at all, so area rules change all the time.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Normally a 12U A team could play as a 14U C team. So I wouldn't think it to be an issue. The issue I have seen is when a 12U eligible is playing 14U B and trys to drop to a 12U C.

Were seeing the C organizations adding specific rules inour area to prevent any A or B players or teams from playing C at all. Even through roster change.

Mar 26, 2013
Interesting question I've wondered about - going up in age to a lower class. ASA Code says you can't move down to a lower classification and points out there are 2 elements (age and class), however it doesn't specify whether they're handled separately or in combo.
FWIW, I just noticed ASA made a Code change this year that clarifies this issue. Pick-up players are now allowed to move down in age classification, however they can't move down in Class.

Article 303 A 04 04. Pick up players must be from the team’s same or lower classification.

Exception: Players who are age eligible may be picked up by a lower age classification team.

CLARIFICATION: In Junior Olympic play there two types of classification, one type of classification is Gold, Class A and Class B; the other type of classification is age classification, 18-Under, 16-Under, 14-Under, 12-Under and 10-Under. Therefore as an example, a player who has competed on a Junior Olympic Girls’ Fast Pitch 16-Under team is (removed "not") an eligible pick-up player for any team below the 16-Under age classification if she meets that age cut off. Another example, once a player participates on a Class A team, they are not eligible to participate in Class B even if moving up in the age classification.

Comments: Updates the eligibility options of pick up players.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877