Question, for those with forearm pain

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
14u DD having forearm pain when pitching. Pinky finger side forearm pain with slight tingling in the fingers. Does not persist for very long after pitching. Yesterday, we cut our lesson short when she mentioned the pain in her arm, this morning she reported it felt fine. We have decided to see an Orthopedist.

Searched the site, and saw several postings with similar symptoms. Anyone who's DD has experience similar pain in the past, care to share the outcome? Did a couple of weeks off resolve issue? Did you have to change pitching mechanics? Physical therapy?

She has worked hard over the winter, and early spring, so I am leaning towards overuse, but curious what outcomes others experienced.

Sep 3, 2015
My DD has had forearm pain, but no tingling. It was more of a pulled muscle from throwing too many riseballs we think. 2-3 weeks off solved the problem. We focused on strengthening so we'll see come summer. DD is a 2022.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
My DD has had forearm pain, but no tingling. It was more of a pulled muscle from throwing too many riseballs we think. 2-3 weeks off solved the problem. We focused on strengthening so we'll see come summer. DD is a 2022.

How does one pull a muscle from throwing a riseball? I don't understand.

May 16, 2016
Update. Doc said it was overuse, and recommended ibuprofen and rest. So we are on zero pitching/throwing for the rest of the week, and we will evaluate where we are then.

Thanks for the replies and PMs.

Sep 3, 2015
How does one pull a muscle from throwing a riseball? I don't understand.
We are not really sure, but that was DDs best guess. Maybe it was the Brachioradialis? Who knows. She rested it for a few weeks and was fine.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Update. Doc said it was overuse, and recommended ibuprofen and rest. So we are on zero pitching/throwing for the rest of the week, and we will evaluate where we are then.

Thanks for the replies and PMs.
What change in her routine are you planning for when she starts back up pitching? To avoid future issues.

Nov 8, 2018
Overuse is a great diagnosis. Now did he explain why the tingling. ? Probably not. Probably didn’t know why.
2 potentials I can think of one would occurs from overuse. One not necessarily.
Entrapment coming from spasmed pronator muscles In the forearm. If not dealt with it will all come back in a short time.
2. Misalignment of the radial bone.
Brachioradialis? Probably not. No neck pain or issue there.
Now there are other referral patterns that would cause this too. Up into the triceps, teres minor and major etc.
again if not dealt with will come back and then some. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Overuse is a great diagnosis. Now did he explain why the tingling. ? Probably not. Probably didn’t know why.
Entrapment coming from spasmed pronator muscles In the forearm. If not dealt with it will all come back in a short time.
Now there are other referral patterns that would cause this too. Up into the triceps, teres minor and major etc.

The Ortho's explanation was swelling of forearm is probably pinching/pressing the ulnar Nerve, causing the tingling in her fingers. X-rays came back clean. 24 hours without touching a ball... Feels like a month... :)

Aug 20, 2017

Doc, not trying to hijack thread lol. My number 1 has had shoulder pain here recently. We shut her down for the last two weeks. We practice tomorrow (spring break here in Mississippi). Plan to do some light underhand tossing and not get into circle until she doesn’t have any discomfort. My question is should she pitch with discomfort? I feel that Fastpitch pitching is similar to baseball pitching on the shoulder. She hasn’t thrown more than 90 pitches this season (began middle of February). She is IR. Any help is appreciated!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut