Question for ASA...why South Dakota...or Midland, or Moline, or Bloomington......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 11, 2009
ASA list now has 29 teams of which 12 are from Cali and of which three teams are signed up for both Premier and ASA, Firecrackers, California Breeze and San Diego power Surge.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I just looked at the list on the official ASA website that Tmolina posted a link for.

No matter what you think of ASA vs. USSSA the trip website is much better, I think ASA should make that a priority to improve.

You are absolutely right and seems to be referenced on a regular basis. USSSA is miles ahead of ASA in this matter and it is a shame as there are local web sites that do better than the national.

Sep 18, 2011
In case anyone is curious, below is a link to a Sioux Falls fastpitch website. You'll find a link for a list of 14U teams coming to South Dakota for ASA/USA nationals. As of today about 80+ teams are in but I am sure that list will be expanding in the next week or so.

Welcome : Sioux Falls Youth Fastpitch Softball

Aug 17, 2010
I have been personally told by 3 organizations from Cali that they are doing both. Said their organizations feels an obligation to ASA and that ASA is still the true "Nationals". Said they were gonna do PGF too because of great competition and in their back yard. I also know, as of July 7th there was just over 100 teams officially registered for ASA Nationals....

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
At least you aren't in Whitehorse, Yukon where the Softball World Championships are currently being held. I have been up that way and it is gorgeous but boy it is in the middle of nowhere.

With 16 teams and staff/supporters that would be a major boost in population for Whitehorse. From memory there is only about 20,000 people in that town on a good day.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At least you aren't in Whitehorse, Yukon where the Softball World Championships are currently being held. I have been up that way and it is gorgeous but boy it is in the middle of nowhere.

With 16 teams and staff/supporters that would be a major boost in population for Whitehorse. From memory there is only about 20,000 people in that town on a good day.

23K, but what's your point? I thought it was about playing softball. Just how many people must need to live someplace to have decent softball facilities?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
23K, but what's your point? I thought it was about playing softball. Just how many people must need to live someplace to have decent softball facilities?

Forget the softball (I have no idea of facilities though the the fields looked ok). When you have a town of 23k and you bring in 2,000+ people it can be all about a decent place to stay as much as anything else. And up that way getting flights, rental vehicles and so forth. Decent planning can go a long way to fix a lot of this - but accommodation is probably the hardest thing to solve for an event like this.

Second is food - while the teams handle the whole team meal thing, there was a lot of supporters as well and just finding enough places for them all the eat in a small town is challenging as well.

Infrastructure wise this can be a real headache.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish