Question about tryouts. Need opinions.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 18, 2010
We are making a move to a new team and new challenge. Playing up a year and moving to 16U. We are considering a team that is 5 hours away for their competitive schedule and recruiting success. We will attend tryouts only once due to scheduling. Here is my main question. Would it be recommended to have DD bring along a resume type letter to leave with the head coach? Is this a common practice? The resume would have several things listed:

Contact Info
Travel Experience
Previous 2 years complete stats, hitting, fielding and pitching
Personal and educational goals
Camps attended
Coaches and player recommendations
* Basically a player profile sheet with some additional personal information (limited to one page, front & back)

Our feeling is a tryout is like a job interview. Since we are not in their area and have never played them, they will not know anything about DD. I would expect that an elite team that draws players from several hundred miles away, would have a very competitive tryout with many players trying out for a few open spots. Would the resume/letter be something that would help or hurt?

Should DD give it to the Head Coach? Before or after the tryout? Email it prior to the tryout? Or is this a bad idea altogether? I realize that actual demonstrated abilities at the tryouts is the real focus and no matter what your resume says, DD will have to demonstrate her abilities on the field. We are simply looking for a competitive edge if selections come down to the wire and a coach has a tough decision to make about a similar player.

Also, if you are a head coach, how would you take receiving this type of resume from a player? Would it piss you off or would you welcome the info?

Please let us know what you think! We value the opinions posted here! Thanks!

Feb 3, 2011
If your DD is skipping 2nd-year 14u, then I'll start with the assumption that she's a standout among already exceptional players. If that's the case, then her name might already be known to the top-level coaches already within that 5-6 hour radius.

At younger ages, I'd be interested in a resumé letting me know her experience and who'd coached her in the past. At older ages, it's still helpful to know what sort of coaching she's received, but by then it's more about what she's already demonstrated in competition. People know who the studs in each year group are. If she's one of them, they know. Like SCDad said, they've most likely got the core of the team already, meaning they're looking for a couple more key pieces to put them over the top. And with that being the case, it comes down to whether she's the right fit to fill their needs at this time.

I wish your DD the best.

Jul 2, 2013
We have tryouts next weekend. It is pretty much a done deal, as a coach told her so. DD will make it unless she comes in with an attitude, or has trouble getting along (she will be fine). Tryouts are to double-check attitudes before committing. I do not get involved with my DD's play anymore. She gets talked to directly by folks who want her. First year 16U elegible next year, to play 18U for a top org.

And no, she is not a big huge stud with D1 written all over her. Just a big stick, with speed to play the outfield. We are lucky that way. Nearly every team will take a big stick, with speed, and put them in the outfield. It is the ones who have to Pitch, Catch, or play SS who can be troublesome to find the right fit.

She has learned an important lesson in life. Play for the folks who tell you they want you. Works best. Push yourself onto a team that does not really care for you, and it does not end well. This applies to every level softball.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
First year 16U eligible next year, to play 18U for a top org.

Has your DD verbally committed to a school? Why would you want her to skip 16U, where the majority of D1 recruiting takes place, to play 18U where most of the top girls are already committed? I would HIGHLY recommend that you talk to some people who have experience in recruiting, preferably college coaches, and ask them their opinion on the subject.

Dec 18, 2010
Has your DD verbally committed to a school? Why would you want her to skip 16U, where the majority of D1 recruiting takes place, to play 18U where most of the top girls are already committed? I would HIGHLY recommend that you talk to some people who have experience in recruiting, preferably college coaches, and ask them their opinion on the subject.

Sorry for the confusion, DD is a 14U eligible pitcher moving up to 16U. Not committed, wants to play on a team that has great D1 recruiting success. Has the skills to make the move up, just looking for opinions if a résumé style letter would be a good idea or not.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sorry for the confusion, DD is a 14U eligible pitcher moving up to 16U. Not committed, wants to play on a team that has great D1 recruiting success. Has the skills to make the move up, just looking for opinions if a résumé style letter would be a good idea or not.

Thanks for the clarification! If you are going to put together a resume, I would suggest emailing it to the coach before tryouts. You want the resume to get your daughter extra attention DURING tryouts, not after the fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321