question about obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 11, 2014
was a u6 game, so not life or death. Bases loaded, 2 outs, down 4. Batter hits the ball to right field, first base runner is knocked down by opponents first baseman, batter passses the now "flat on her face" runner. batter continues running till she touches home plate, runner gets up and runs to or towards 2nd base ,where after some confusion opponents tag her i believe. What should have been the call.

Jun 22, 2008
I forget the entire sequence asa prescribes for calling the play, will have to look it up. Ultimately the play is ruled dead and all runners are awarded the base they would have reached in the umpires judgment absent the obstruction. Including the batter runner.

Jun 22, 2008
Here is the ASA case play, will let you read it for yourself.

PLAY: With one out, R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B, B4 hits an extra base hit to the outfield. R1 rounds 3B and is obstructed and knocked down. R2 accidently passes R1 as R1 is lying on the ground. The ball is returned to the infield and R1 is tagged out. What is the call?
RULING: When R1 was obstructed between 2B and 3B, the base umpire should signal and call “obstruction.” (Rule 8, Section 5B) The umpire should then rule R2 out when R2 passed R1 with the ball remaining live. (Rule 8, Section 7D EFFECT) When R1 is tagged out between the two bases where the obstruction occurred, the umpire should call “time” and award R1 and all other runners the base or bases they would have reached, had there been no obstruction. (Rule 8, Section 5B[ 2] & [4] EFFECT) This would nullify the out on R2 and both R1 and R2 would be awarded the bases they would have reached had there been no obstruction. In this play, that base appears to be home.

May 11, 2014
thank you very much for the answer. we couldnt decide if only one base should have been awarded or home, as the batter/runner crossed the plate. unfortunately (or fortunately as it was 11 at night) the umpire ruled batter/runner out for passing the downed runner, ballgame over. as i said before it was not a big deal (ok i lied, to some parents it was) was just wondering as they get older what would be the best way to handle a similar situation.

Mar 15, 2014
Here is the ASA case play, will let you read it for yourself.

PLAY: With one out, R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B, B4 hits an extra base hit to the outfield. R1 rounds 3B and is obstructed and knocked down. R2 accidently passes R1 as R1 is lying on the ground. The ball is returned to the infield and R1 is tagged out. What is the call?
RULING: When R1 was obstructed between 2B and 3B, the base umpire should signal and call “obstruction.” (Rule 8, Section 5B) The umpire should then rule R2 out when R2 passed R1 with the ball remaining live. (Rule 8, Section 7D EFFECT) When R1 is tagged out between the two bases where the obstruction occurred, the umpire should call “time” and award R1 and all other runners the base or bases they would have reached, had there been no obstruction. (Rule 8, Section 5B[ 2] & [4] EFFECT) This would nullify the out on R2 and both R1 and R2 would be awarded the bases they would have reached had there been no obstruction. In this play, that base appears to be home.
Where can I buy a copy of the ASA casebook??

(ok i lied, to some parents it was)

I have had more trouble doing solo 8-10u games than anything else. Some of these parents are just out of control.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
I don't think they have printed on since about 2008. The copy I have I actually foundonline somewhere as a PDF file.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi