Question about look back rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2009
Coach tells our catcher that all she has to do is make a runner take one step back to the base the runner was on before returning ball to pitcher in the circle. Coach says if runner takes just one step back (while the catcher still has the ball and is charging the runner like a crazy woman) the runner can't change direction and attempt to take next base. Is this correct?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
No, the coach has it wrong.

The Look Back Rule only applies when the pitcher has the ball and is inside the pitching circle. When the catcher has the ball, the runner is free to advance, retreat, stop, reverse or dance around as much as she wants to.

Apr 8, 2010
bretman - good, clear explanation. thx. if i can ask the next question - the runner must either return to 3rd (or whatever base) or break, right, once the pitcher has the ball in the circle? my problem has been in the past that the umpire will let the runner stand there for what seems like an eternity, and if there are multiple runners we usually give up 2nd base. seems like the ump should enforce the rule pretty quickly, or am i missing something?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The LBR, only takes effect after the runner gets to 1st base and stops. After that, I think that the ump should make the call quickly, if the runner at 3rd is just standing.

SBM - I can't believe the scenario you describe. That is awful.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
SBM:

If the coach said the runner couldn't change direction when the catcher has the ball, then he is not only wrong, he is stupid wrong. The LBR is "softball 101".

But: Generally, if the catcher gets the runner to step back toward the bag, then the runner will not take off for the next base. But, there is no rule that says the runner has to go back to the bag.

Apr 1, 2010
My dd always tries to threaten the baserunner(s) all the way back to their base(s) before she throws the ball back to the pitcher. Spectators have yelled at her sometimes for not throwing back faster, but she says it seems safer to her (and she likes intimidating the runners). :)

I don't know all the rules, but I've seen the catcher not make a good throw and/or the pitcher muff the catch. Wouldn't the runners be able to advance on that, especially if they've still got a nice lead? (I kinda agree with dd that it seems safer to force them back to their bases and then make the throw back to the pitcher.)

Apr 8, 2010
i'm fine with the catcher walking/staring the runner back, however it's still a live ball and the lbr is not in effect. as long as she is paying attention to the other runners and makes a good throw back to the circle, its a safe plan. i do have my catchers walk a few steps down the line on a big leadoff from 1 or 3 just to remind the runner she's there. we do, quite frequently, throw as well.

ray - i wonder if the ball went back to the pitcher, but she never entered the circle, the lbr isn't in effect, so a quick toss to 1st base (from the pitcher) could catch the runner being lazy back to the bag. at 1st year 12u, we could catch a lot of runners off base this way i suspect. or am i talking crazy?

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
My understanding of the LBR is once the pitcher has the ball in the circle the runner can not stop or if stopped must start moving either towards the base they just left or move towards the next base. You don't have to move fast but you must be moving.

IN 12U, We are very aggressive on the bases, looking to provoke the catcher and the pitcher to make a throw. Most of it is psychological. Get the catcher running down to 2nd or 3rd a few times and you see them huffing. Shake a pitcher by waiting to go back and she starts charging towards 3rd. We use the delayed steal at 3rd all the time...Pitch comes out of the circle for the ball and turns toward first, gone home.

We also defend against this well with plays designed to get the runner off 3rd going home. I love coaching 3rd.

Jun 26, 2008
In the past both travelling and at the high school level with this rule with "some umpires" I do believe the ones that do not make an immediate call do not remember the rules or are to busy thinking about other things

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole