Question about fall tryouts and picking the right team...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I couldn't decide to put this on the coaches or parents form, but wanted feedback from both, so I put it here. If it needs to be moved, please do so.

This is DD's first year in TB. We joined a 12u team mid season. They needed another pitcher and asked us to join for the remainder of the season. DD slid in to the #2 slot. It's been an overall good experience for my DD and myself. Most of this team and the coach will be playing 12u again next year, while my DD will be moving up.

We'll be looking for a new team this fall. I have no illusions of grander about my DD's ability or where she is right now. She's behind many of the 14u's in this area in fielding and hitting. She's been pitching for just over a year and seeing a PC as of recently. She is not an Ace, but can hold her own in the circle now and the hopes of improvement are there. She will also start hitting lessons once the spring/summer season is over.

We have one team that is really interested in her. This team will be moving up to 14u this fall. As of right now, she would be the #3 pitcher on the team. The coach as a DD that pitches, which concerns me some. The top 2 pitchers are more 1A and 1B. I know the other pitcher's dad and trust him and he tells me the coach is real fair and doesn't do "daddy ball". They are more local than the other 2 we're looking at and DD knows 2 of the current players as well.

Here's my problem, this team's tryouts are August 2nd and the other 2 teams we're trying out for are July 12th and 13th. I have no idea how the process works so I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I'm really leaning toward the team mentioned above, but if they add another pitcher (I don't know if they will), it could move DD to #4. I don't need her to be #1, or even #2, but dropping to #4 would reduce the inning significantly. I have no idea how the rosters of the other 2 teams would be set up.

I have also seen, that being on a team that consistently only plays 2-3 games in bracket play reduces your number of games a good bit over the season, so that's in my head as well. Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2014
Kansas City
First and foremost you have to do what is best for your daughter. She will find a team that is a fit, and one that will work out the way your family needs it to.

As for your pitching needs, as a coach, I found that it is best for parents to be up front with regard to your expectations for pitching time. Ask questions about philosophy, rotation, and competition for mound time. If a coach as a daughter on the team and is a pitcher, she is going to pitch, but you know that going in, so you can only make your decision based on how you feel about the answers he gives you.

One piece advice, and its seems like you have a pretty open view about this, don't take your daughter to a team where she is the best player/pitcher on the team. If she is part of a three pitcher rotation, and throws along side girls that are little better than her, she will improve and get better.

Good luck with your search! I hope this helps!

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
First and foremost you have to do what is best for your daughter. She will find a team that is a fit, and one that will work out the way your family needs it to.

As for your pitching needs, as a coach, I found that it is best for parents to be up front with regard to your expectations for pitching time. Ask questions about philosophy, rotation, and competition for mound time. If a coach as a daughter on the team and is a pitcher, she is going to pitch, but you know that going in, so you can only make your decision based on how you feel about the answers he gives you.

One piece advice, and its seems like you have a pretty open view about this, don't take your daughter to a team where she is the best player/pitcher on the team. If she is part of a three pitcher rotation, and throws along side girls that are little better than her, she will improve and get better.

Good luck with your search! I hope this helps!

Thanks alot Sam. I do not want my DD to be the staff Ace. I'm fine with #3, if the coach pitches her in pool play and in bracket when needed. She's not an Ace at this point. She also likes playing OF, and has taken to it pretty well.

If you like the team that has the later tryout, it is within reason for you to ask the other two teams for time to make your decision. If they really want your DD, they will grant it. Of course, no rule says they have to wait for her, and they may choose not to. Just a risk you'll have to take.

With the team you're most interested in, I know many father coaches who have DDs who pitch that treat other pitchers on the team very well. You do know his DD is going to get her innings, though.

I also know non-parent coaches whose #3 pitchers never see the circle during a tough draw.

I also have seen everything else you can imagine.

If your DD can indeed "hold her own" at 14U, then you need to make sure she goes to a team that will let her pitch. She has to pitch to real girls in order to get better. Make sure she'll get the chance!

As far as philosophy, the coach may say she'll pitch x amount of games/innings but that can change if she loses control or gets shelled. It can also change is she starts mowing girls down or beating decent teams. Hard to really pinpoint what someone is really saying when they give you their "philosophy" on pitching time. I know I will not tolerate BBs by my pitchers and if you're giving up more than three per game. you're very likely to lose your spot in the rotation. You might even be in jeopardy with two BBs per game if I have other pitchers who are averaging two BBs per tournament. Parents don't understand that because they think their DD needs to pitch to work herself out of the control loss but I think her team needs better pitching to be competitive.

It is all relative. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1