Quest for More Speed....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JFK

Dec 6, 2012
Murrieta, CA
Just signed up. Recently returned from GTMO after an 18 mo tour and getting back into all of this.

Just-turned-17 Daughter needs to increase speed. She has been playing for 10 years and has only been pitching for 2 years. She has an issue with not keeping her hips open. She has all of her pitches (except Screw) and is hitting her spots at will. She throws at 53mph but walks the ladder up and down (50-51-52-51-50-49) at practice. She has a wicked Drop and Change. In the time that I've been gone she has plateaued at 53mph (18 mos ago she was throwing 47mph consistantly. What more can she be doing to bring her speed up to where I'm reading it should be? Some of these 18U Gold teams are throwing low 60's. i know that they have been at it longer.... Thought I'd post it and see what i get.
Looking for practical suggestions and NOT "...hey go to this site and buy this product/book/dvd" responses.

She has a Pitching coach one day/week and we pitch 5 nights a week. She does quick drills, long-distance drills, L drill with weighted ball (9,10,11), and hand rotation drills (?). She conditions with a sports Kinesiologist 2 days/week. I've seen all of the improvements that shes made, but what is a father to say when she asks "why am I not throwing faster?". PC gave her distance and quick drill which has increased speed slightly....but what more? Thought I'd put it out there for objective minds - other than her PC. Is it time to switch PC's after 2 years??

You can either post here or PM me. I just dont want a matter of opinion to become a matter of debate.

Thanks

JFK

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
JFK, how can you ask these questions without a video for people to look at? Some people will never throw 60+ no matter what they do. If someone on here really had the secret on how to throw harder the whole world would have known by now.

Apr 25, 2010
JFK,

First off, welcome. This place is awesome.

Second, it would help greatly if you could post some video of your DD pitching. It is hard to know what she is being taught and how she is doing things without seeing it. Plus, seeing it could give us a starting point in helping you out.

I would say that, if your DD definitely wants to continue pitching, she needs to find the speed somewhere, so show us what you're working with...lol.

And the matter of opinion/matter of debate thing will sometimes happen whether we want it to or not...lol. Basically, ignore those posts and pick through the others. A good starting point for you would be to go to fastpitch.tv and watch everything that says Bill Hillhouse on it. He is very no-nonsense, explains things very clearly.

Is your daughter being taught to push the ball down and finish with her elbow pointed to the catcher? Is she a step pitcher or leap and drag?

Jun 20, 2008
IMO above all else the first thing you need to understand is if she is seeing a pitching coach every week and you pitch with her 5 nights a week, above all else SHE NEEDS TO REST and recover from the pitching sessions!

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
First off; Thank you for your service.

I assume you are familiar with the saying: "Improvize, overcome and adapt" and the classification of "Top Secret, EYES ONLY".

With due respect to some who would like you to believe that any secret to pitching faster would be spread widely and everyone would be talking about it, that is not an accurate statemment. The secret to gaining an immediate speed increase IS out there and has been available since I published it in 2002. It is also in my newest book.

There are many old VHS tapes, newer books and DVDs out there on pitching advice. They all can be educational. Many of them, people talk them up all the time and recommend them highly. The reason for that is simple; They are not worried about any pitcher getting that information because NONE OF IT WILL EVER THREATEN THEIR KIDS PITCHING TIME.

Seldom will you EVER see or hear anyone talking about MY book.

People treat my advice alot differently, they treat it like it is confidential information. They practice what I teach at home and then put it into practice during their games. Then they find out just how effective it is and after that, the book never leaves the house and they never talk about it to anyone ever again, not even in an open forum.

Do you want to send her out to do battle with the exact same 'Talk of the town' information and weapons all the others have? Or would you gather up intel and send her out with Top Secret information and Secret Weapons.

There is a simple exercise in my book that will allow her to pitch faster immediately.

I have several statements on my site.

Here is another thread on the same topic. http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/11472-pitching-faster-physical-mental-thing.html

The choice is yours.

Coach Hal

Last edited:
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Hal, another shameless promotion of your book. So you have the secret to throwing faster right away? Hey by the way, why weren't you the fastest pitcher in the US when you were pitching? You had all the knowledge didn't you?
This guy's daughter is 17 and throws 50-51, you might get 2-3 mph improvement if you clean up a couple of things. But I have seen many people over the years pitching coach shopping to find the one that can increase their daughter's speed. Don't give this guy the impression that there is a lot of upside on the speed thing.
Crystlemc, I assume that this is one of the posts that should be ignored.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
speed

Sounds like your doing everything right... I coach HS and a 14u travel ball club. In my experience... I've found that the legs are the secrete to unleashing the extra mph's. Make sure she is driving out HARD at a 45 degree angle off the rubber. And landing on a firm, strong front leg. This will create a strong down force to help "whip" the arm through the hips. Note: keeping a loose elbow usually adds 1or 2 mph. As far as her exercise... focus on legs every other day and core exercises daily.

Apr 25, 2010
Hal, another shameless promotion of your book. So you have the secret to throwing faster right away? Hey by the way, why weren't you the fastest pitcher in the US when you were pitching? You had all the knowledge didn't you?
This guy's daughter is 17 and throws 50-51, you might get 2-3 mph improvement if you clean up a couple of things. But I have seen many people over the years pitching coach shopping to find the one that can increase their daughter's speed. Don't give this guy the impression that there is a lot of upside on the speed thing.
Crystlemc, I assume that this is one of the posts that should be ignored.

No, I am talking about when it devolves into people attacking each other and offering no help to the OP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma