Queen of the hill drive trainer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2015
West Virginia
The more I see and the more I think about this device, I don’t know how it couldn’t be beneficial. Its not a magic bullet but what is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
They all are getting significantly more drive... instantly
I actually used it backwards last night to work on resistance... sorry didn't film it, but I will tonight

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes I do use a clicker occasionally, as it forces them to think for themselves and not solely depend on my feedback. This tool is a clicker in and of its self. The sound will tell her "good or bad"

Can you explain how you use a clicker?

(And, I'm all for the "think for themselves". Anything to get the kid actively involved in the process is great.)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The more I see and the more I think about this device, I don’t know how it couldn’t be beneficial. Its not a magic bullet but what is?

I'm not sold on the device, but I'm keeping an open mind.

There is an analogy in running...to teach someone to run faster, you have the student run faster.

It sounds a little silly, but it works. You have the student run down hill as fast as she can.
Of course, the kid runs down the hill faster than she can on level ground...so, it gives her the feel for how fast her legs and arms have to move in order to run faster.

If a kid is struggling with leg drive, using something to let them feel leg drive could be helpful.

Last edited:
May 9, 2015
West Virginia

There is an analogy in running...to teach someone to run faster, you have the student run faster.

It sounds a little silly, but it works. You have the student have run down hill as fast as she can.
Of course, the kid runs down the hill faster than she can on level ground...so, it gives her the feel for how fast her legs and arms have to move in order to run faster.

If a kid is struggling with leg drive, using something to let them feel leg drive could be helpful.

My thoughts exactly. The fact that you have to be in the right position to be able to push back not just down is huge imo. Also I think the spring loaded feature looks to help spring them forward a little and give them that sensation of exploding, a lot like your example of running down hill. I’m looking forward to more research from James and I’m ready to pull the trigger and order one if he proves it to be as useful as it seems. As far as using the clicker, I think he’s referring to click training much like a dog trainer. The student gets a click every time she performs the expected move she is working on. If she doesn’t hear the click, she immediately thinks through why she didn’t get one without you saying anything. Little talking and a lot of thinking is the idea I believe.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

It sounds a little silly, but it works. You have the student have run down hill as fast as she can.

Used to take Jake to the baseball field and have her throw off the mound to get the feel of getting up and out.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
My thoughts exactly. The fact that you have to be in the right position to be able to push back not just down is huge imo. Also I think the spring loaded feature looks to help spring them forward a little and give them that sensation of exploding, a lot like your example of running down hill. I’m looking forward to more research from James and I’m ready to pull the trigger and order one if he proves it to be as useful as it seems. As far as using the clicker, I think he’s referring to click training much like a dog trainer. The student gets a click every time she performs the expected move she is working on. If she doesn’t hear the click, she immediately thinks through why she didn’t get one without you saying anything. Little talking and a lot of thinking is the idea I believe.

The spring loaded aspect of this device makes me wonder if it is possible that once the pitcher stops pushing backwards on this device, does the spring portion of the device going forward contribute to stronger drive for the pitcher? My guess is its too small or not enough strength to make a difference, but anything is possible.

Mar 20, 2015
Conceptually the device makes sense to me. If its possible to set it to a level that a pitcher will struggle to get the click then the instant feedback will make them want to push back harder to get the click. The end result is their center of mass drives forward faster. Once they master a level keep upping the bar and its something you can measure against. Seems like twisting the hips or foot, walking off the rubber, and stride leg dominate issues would work against getting the click.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Can you radar them right before the device, using the device, then right after using the device.

Yes I can...
The biggest issue I'm having is all of them are walking out of the pitch. They need to learn a stronger FSR to match the additional drive.
My 12u girl in the black pants hit a new high of 50 last night...previous was 48. And pink shirt is a 05 14u that hit 52... previous high was 51.
I'll try to show some better angles with a couple more girls coming this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06