Quality of Travel Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I don't have any experience in comparing today's teams to previous year's teams, but I do think there are more sporting opportunities for girls today in a wider variety of sports which may be a factor.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Is todays' travel ball teams as strong now as they were 5 years ago? Many have told me that travel ball today is less competitive now than it was when their DDs played.

I hear the same crap. Of coarse the teams are weaker THAN when someone else's DD played at that age. Give me a break!!! Just because there are better coaching and better talented girls on some of the teams of today, the parents of old always scream " it was much harder when lil Sally was playing".

Feb 9, 2009
We have A LOT of travel teams, select teams, whatever you want to call them around here.
Bottom line: parents are spending the money to improve the skills... Between camps, hitting coaches, pitching coaches, clinics, etc...why wouldn't they want their kid on a travel team? From a player perspective, when you spend a ton of time practicing, you want to play games! And Rec Ball only gives you 10-12 games to play. So the kids want to play more, the parents want to see a return on their investment (ha...I giggled a little when I wrote that), so more and more teams are popping up.
Seems to me, the more we can get girls out on a dirt field playing ball all year long growing confident in themselves as opposed to hanging out at the mall or texting non-stop to their friends, the better women we are raising.
So what if the "collective" is not what it was. The Elite are still elite...no doubt about it. But the average players ARE getting better because they are getting to play.
And organized girls sports are now the norm, rather than the exception. I love it for my kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619