Push ups for called third strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2011
I coach a very competitive 12u team. We generally finish in the top 3 of most tournaments we enter. I am just looking for some feedback on something we do. We make the kids do 10 push ups or run a lap for taking a called 3rd strike or missed sign. We dont run for errors or anything else. We have been getting some feedback from some parents like this is the worst thing ever. What does the forum think?

Jan 24, 2011
I would say that this will be frowned upon around here. But , I dont have a problem with this if those "mistakes" are happening a lot with your team. I would be more apt to do it for the missed sign than I would the called third strike. I tend to view missed signs as a lack of focus and concentration,

Last edited:
I am AC this fall ball season after HCing in the spring. Our HC is big on things like this and for the most part I am OK with it (IMO he never crosses the line) but it is not something I generally advocate. The called third strike thing would bother me a little because it is not a lack of discipline, focus, effort. The problem is strike zone recognition which is a skill that needs to be taught and learned. On my teams I always tell my girls I am not yelling or getting upset if you strike out, make a bad throw or boot a hot shot those things are going to happen. What I am focusing on is the mental part of the game your attitude and effort. I have to admit missing signs is a pet peeve, it shows me you were not focusing, not running on a dropped third strike, throwing to the wrong base or cutoff all these things are telling me your head is not in the game. All that to say I am just not big into the physical punishment for poor execution of a skill.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not a big lap or pushup person other than to have the Players burn off some extra energy.

I do not understand what you would accomplish by having the players run laps for called 3rd strikes, sounds like it would have the opposite result then what you are trying to accomplish. Edit to add - Or introduce a different "bad" habit.

Little bit more open to it on missed signs but would still need a little convincing.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
I would question the logic for punishment on a called third strike. It seems to me that the thought process of hitting is flawed (they are 11 and 12, I get it).

It shouldn't be about balls and strikes (too subjective). The question you should be asking is, "could you have hit that ball?".

If it was a strike the answer should always be yes. ;)

Apr 1, 2010
We had a similar post a little while back on what to do about girls watching the third strike...

IMO it's better to get the girls swinging because they have an aggressive attitude rather than have them swinging at junk because they're afraid of punishment. I think you'd be better off with bribes for those who don't get called third strikes. --You could make a big production of it at the end of the tournament: Susie gets this (cheapo, but instantly coveted) whatsis because she didn't strike out looking the ENTIRE tourney!

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I can see the batter up there now. Nervous wondering what should I do swing or not swing. If I swing no push ups (embarrassment in front of the team).

Your going to waste a lot of third strikes (outs) with girls swing at bad pitches.

I prefer working on the mental side of hitting. And have your hitters back after each at bat. A calm confident batter will perform better in the long run. Yes it will be tough on the coaches and parents for a while, but they'll get over it.

May 17, 2012
I can see the batter up there now. Nervous wondering what should I do swing or not swing. If I swing no push ups (embarrassment in front of the team).

My smartass DD would do 10 pushups on the on deck circle. "Just in case."

:D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors