Proud moment :)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
My 10 year old DD was telling my wife and I about how they have been playing wiffleball in their P.E. Class each day for the last couple of weeks. It is boys and girls, the PE teacher will pick two random kids and let them pick their teams. My wife asked our DD if she ever gets picked 1st. My DD's replied, "yes, I am picked first every single time!".
I guess I was not expecting that answer however I loved hearing it. It seems that they have to pitch underhanded and since she is the only TB pitcher in the class and swings a great bat, she is a hot commodity! The boys would much rather have her on their team so they pick her first.

Jan 7, 2013
LOL, awesome.

DW and I went to the first parent-teacher conference this week. Was chatting with the teacher about DD's travel ball and he said that explains a lot. What? He said, on Fridays he takes the kids to the gym for "FUN Friday". On the first Fun Friday, they had a game where a ball was being tossed around. He said DD picked up a ball and fired a bullet and nailed one of the boys.. He said he brushed it off as a lucky shot where everything was lined up just right. Then he said, shock set in when every ball she threw after that was harder and faster, and he had to tell her to ease up.

DD and her BFF are on the same TB team and in the same class, both always get picked first by the boys is PE. Sixth grade is turning out to be a challenge for her. Boys and Girls really "noticing" each other. She doesn't know whether to be coy and cute, or fire a 50+ mph fastball at em. She loves her some dodgeball though.

Nov 15, 2011
DD is now a freshman in college, but when she was in 6th grade they did a football unit in PE. Teacher told kids to self select into an "experienced" group and a "beginner" group. DD was the only girl to choose experienced. Teacher questioned her several times and she insisted she wanted to stay there. After several class periods of "boys making stupid plays" she took the ball and announced she was going to play quarterback. Teacher said she threw a long completion for a touchdown and he had to keep himself from laughing at the boys' faces. I miss those days!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD has vented to me more than once about how the boys in her class (5th grade) aren't very good at playing "pickle". Apparently, their catching and throwing skills are sub-standard in comparison to her softball-playing classmates.

I was also advised by one of my DD's Summer day camp counselors that we needed to stop her from getting any stronger and faster - "She keeps beating EVERYONE!" :)

Having amazing daughters is fun, isn't it?

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
DD is now a sophomore in HS but when she was 8 she started playing little league baseball. In our town, baseball at that age is much more competitive than softball, although she played softball too. She was the only girl in the league, was a starting pitcher and played first base - her coach and teammates were great to her and loved having her on the team but she always had to deal with the whispers and laughter from the opponents (and even sometimes the fans too), until they saw her play. Fast forward to her last year playing little league (majors) as a 12 year old. We were walking up to the field and a boy from the opposing team started laughing and pointing at her - he was really rude. I look over at DD and she has this little smirk on her face. I ask her what she is smiling about and she says "I am going to make that one cry Mom." She gets out on the mound and the heckler is the third batter - he is laughing and pointing at DD. He turns around to his bench and says "watch me hit this ball out of the park" and crowds the plate still laughing and shaking his head. DD gives me a little smirk again, gives him her steely stare and fires a fastball a touch inside but still in the strike zone - it really hummed in there. Rude boy hits the dirt - umpire calls a strike. Rude boy is slow to get up and takes a long time to get back into the batters box. DD fires two more fastballs that he doesn't even get close to - strike out. He goes back to his bench, sits down and starts crying. DD went on to pitch all but the last inning (she reached her pitch count) and they got the win...

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I was always the LAST kid picked.

One time DD #3 was talking about her gym class at school, and mentioned something about always being the first to get picked. How can this be my child?

Dec 7, 2011
I attest part of DD's overall success towards her ability to scare the socks off boys especially in gym class. Most "regular" boys at her HS obviously do not like a girl who can out-perform and out-compete them. But of course they will pick them first in team competition.

I thought I was going to skate through all of HS without having to show a "suiter" my gun collection but then the starting quarterback on the football team took on the challenge (my DD that is) and now I think they might even be the real deal and make a long run out of it (if they can survive being apart during college right now).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I attest part of DD's overall success towards her ability to scare the socks off boys especially in gym class. Most "regular" boys at her HS obviously do not like a girl who can out-perform and out-compete them. But of course they will pick them first in team competition.

I thought I was going to skate through all of HS without having to show a "suiter" my gun collection but then the starting quarterback on the football team took on the challenge (my DD that is) and now I think they might even be the real deal and make a long run out of it (if they can survive being apart during college right now).

I wish YOU the best of luck with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish