Proud Dad

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For the first time in four years DD's HS coach allowed a freshman on the varsity squad.

DD is a pitcher and 1st baseman. She has started all but two games this season and has finished all games started. She and a senior pitcher are sharing circle time, each with equal innings.

Until last night, DD was unsure weather she made the squad or not. She was practicing with both Varsity and JV, playing tournaments with both and playing pre-season games with both.

Last night was their first league game and DD started as a 1st baseman on the varsity squad and finished the game in the circle, allowing no hits and striking out two thirds of batters faced. Her team won the game.

Did I say that I am a proud Dad?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I know how you feel. My oldest DD started as the only sophomore on Varsity over all the juniors on the team and did quite well, However, the next year we found out why all the juniors were riding the pine,

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Congratulations! My DD had a similar experience, as she led the JV (pitching) as a Freshman and then moved up to the V, the last few weeks. I remember the coach coming up to me and saying, I reserved a room for you for the weekend. I said "Have you seen Ca...?" (She had a sort of physical game and was iced in various areas.)

What state are you in?

Mar 15, 2010
Congratulations. I had a similar experience with my first DD about 10 years ago. Her High School Varsity coach had a firm policy: No Freshman on Varsity. The high school was large (4,000+) and fielding a competitive varsity team with Soph through Sr was never a problem. He had this in place for 10 years and then my DD arrived. She was a catcher/OF and had just come off winning a 14U western national title with her travel team. His current varsity catcher was good but had problems blocking and arm strength was less than desired. My DDs first JV game she had 0 passed balls and threw out 2 runners stealing 2nd and 1 runner on first. Varsity Coach approached her after the game and asked her to practice with them the coming week. Next home game she started and was the starting catcher for the next 4 years. So much for firm policy...

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
What? I'm down the RF line! Another east coast v. west coast difference?

GM

Ok, I'm confused. My daughter ( average rec player) has been asked to play as a guest on a local travel team that's short on players. This will my first experience, don't want to break protocol... So, do I go down the right field line or left field ( I'm in NJ) :confused:

Mar 15, 2010
Ok, I'm confused. My daughter ( average rec player) has been asked to play as a guest on a local travel team that's short on players. This will my first experience, don't want to break protocol... So, do I go down the right field line or left field ( I'm in NJ) :confused:

East Coast versus West Coast. Hasn't the battle gone on long enough? Didn't we learn anything from the 1990s hip hop/rap rivalries? Can't we all just get along? How about we meet in the middle and agree to be bleacher parents behind home plate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying