Protective mask for pitching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
She said she can't breath in them and they srteam up in damp / cold weather plus she wears glasses and said they cause her glasses to steam up. Plus oddly enough the Metal is lighter.

^what cobb said.

to add the plastic ones get scratched making vision even lower. add to that that plastic stresses over time with prolonged exposure to the sun, metal is simply a better choice.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Both of mine, one a 10u pitcher the other 14 2nd Base, wear the Rip It masks. I wouldn't recommend the plastic. They are thicker, heavier, and I have heard of them shattering when hit hard enough. Metal isn't going to shatter.

Jul 23, 2014
Midwest
Both of mine, one a 10u pitcher the other 14 2nd Base, wear the Rip It masks. I wouldn't recommend the plastic. They are thicker, heavier, and I have heard of them shattering when hit hard enough. Metal isn't going to shatter.

Both my DD's wear the metal Rip-its. Why?

1. Because I can slightly bend and shape the metal mask to better fit wider/narrower heads. Can't do that with the plastic ones.
2. Rip-its have a soft cloth-type chin pad that my girls prefer over the harder molded chin caps the Schutt models seem to come with. On the flip side of that, I know a lot of girls like the harder molded caps as they don't get stinky, sweaty & soggy in the heat.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
The plastic masks seem to stick out so far in the front that girls have complained it limits there vision when bending down to field ground balls

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
Thanks
Ordered Rip it for grand daughter, she has no clue it's coming.
One just about lost her teeth in a state regional game 3 years ago, the catcher threw down to second a rocket, ist inning was just beginning .
No one had ever taught grand daughter to leave the circle on throw down, so at that point i had to tell the hs coaches. Prior to that she had some real real close calls/

See if this one will wear it?
Mother has had plenty of trips to orthodontist already.

thanks for the comments

Dec 11, 2010
Odds are most mask strikes will be somewhat glancing and IMHO most balls hit back at an experienced pitcher will not be direct hits, some or most will be somewhat deflected by most players glove.

That very sharply hit ball that the pitcher can't get a glove on that hits the mask square is the bad one. My experience is with a very hard hit ball (seemed freakishly fast) that hit a Rip-it mask nearly square and hit hard enough to bend the mask slightly. The mask impacted the player and left red marks on the chin and nose where the mask hit the face. This was 10u so consider how much harder an older kid can hit.

A couple of posters mentioned fitting the mask to the shape of the kids face. That is a really good idea. Shape the mask and adjust the straps correctly. The ball hits the mask, imparts energy on the mask and the mask impacts the face. If there is space between the padding and the head, seems like it would increase the impact between the mask and the head to me. Seems to me that you want as much of the mask touching the face and head as possible to spread that energy out. I don't think the mask in the above case was fitted as well as it could have been.

Because of the above, it seems like a great idea to try on as many kinds of masks as possible and buy for fit. I can vouch for Rip-it but would buy whatever mask fit best. Fit will probably affect their willingness to wear it too I suppose.

On the square mask hit, consider the possibility of concussion. Don't know how likely it is but I have learned a lot about concussions recently and I think it is a possibility the player listed above had a minor concussion.

Hope this helps. Masks are a very good thing IMHO.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1