Protection after a walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2011
SE Texas
I was in a conversation with an umpire recently and we were discussing the often debated look back rule when a runner rounds first base after a walk and all of the diffferent scenarios that get misinterpreted. He then told me something that I was completely unaware of.

He said that after a walk, the batter-runner is only protected through first base. Obviously, if the batter-runner makes an attempt towards second base then she is liable to be put out. I said "OK, but duh."

However:

He then said that the batter-runner does not even need to "make an attempt towards 2nd" to be liable to be put out after a walk. If she simply passes through 1st base, then she may be put out at that point. This was news to me. I've always assumed there was protection past first base as long as there was not an attempt made to advance. (just like your normal ground ball play where the batter-runner is allowed to run through first.) I realize that a walk is not a dead ball situation like many assume that it is so what he is saying actually makes some sense.

Does anyone have clarification on this? I have never seen this called; further, I've never seen a coach try to make a play on a runner in this situation.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
He then said that the batter-runner does not even need to "make an attempt towards 2nd" to be liable to be put out after a walk. If she simply passes through 1st base, then she may be put out at that point. This was news to me. I've always assumed there was protection past first base as long as there was not an attempt made to advance. (just like your normal ground ball play where the batter-runner is allowed to run through first.) I realize that a walk is not a dead ball situation like many assume that it is so what he is saying actually makes some sense.

Does anyone have clarification on this? I have never seen this called; further, I've never seen a coach try to make a play on a runner in this situation.

Rubbish. A walk is handled that same as a batted ball as it pertains to the BR and subsequent runner status in ALL softball rule sets of which I am aware. Your "friend" may want to consider reading the rule book or find something else to do. In ASA it is 8.8.I

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The only "ball-type game" that says a batter-runner may be tagged out after over running first base on a walk is high school baseball. It's a dumb rule on their part and unique to their game. Maybe that's the source of confusion for this umpire?

For all other baseball and softball rule sets...batter-runners may over run first base without liability to be put out, so long as they return directly to first base.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As the 1B coach I always point to the bag and tell my girls "on the bag" when they are headed down to 1B after a walk. In 10U and 12U we would occasionally send a runner to 2B after a walk if the base was open and a runner on 3B, but not so much at 14U.

Apr 12, 2013
The only "ball-type game" that says a batter-runner may be tagged out after over running first base on a walk is high school baseball. It's a dumb rule on their part and unique to their game. Maybe that's the source of confusion for this umpire?

For all other baseball and softball rule sets...batter-runners may over run first base without liability to be put out, so long as they return directly to first base.

i believe they dont have to return directly to first base. they have the option of advancing to second base as long as they dont move towards first base first. once they make a move back to first base, they can not change their mind and then move towards second base.

Jun 22, 2008
i believe they dont have to return directly to first base. they have the option of advancing to second base as long as they dont move towards first base first. once they make a move back to first base, they can not change their mind and then move towards second base.

Except for NCAA, as long as the batter/runner stays within I think it is 3' of the baseline while returning to 1st base, the runner may attempt to advance to 2nd prior to retouching 1st base.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Explain what would be the reasoning behind over-running 1B on a walk? I can understand rounding but running through the bag?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

You're right, but that isn't the point I was addressing.

I didn't say "batter-runners must always return directly to first base after over running". I said that "if they return directly to first, then they are not at liability to be put out".

My post was for a different situation that you're commenting on, directly related to the first post in the thread.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Explain what would be the reasoning behind over-running 1B on a walk? I can understand rounding but running through the bag?

The rule applies to the batter-runner becoming a runner regardless of how the player became a batter-runner. And when was the last time you saw a runner "walk" to 1B? In many cases, the player runs if for no other reason than be prepared to advance should there be a mishandling of the ball and/or make sure the BR is in the defense's mind.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd