Prospect camp

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I'm familiar with this camp. Once they get you on their email list, they will cattle call you to death to come to the camp. Unless your DD is specifically talking to a coach at any of these type of camps, it's probably not worth it other than to get some extra practice.

To add on to what FP26 wrote, the experience is great. Just be realistic about recruiting expectations at these camps. Most coaches, even D2/3 have camps. Having her go to those for the experience also helps get her exposure to coaches of schools she wants to attend.

May 20, 2015
thanks, that's also what i was looking for.......they almost suckered my mom into paying for the "who's who in high school america" book back when i was in HS lol

i'll put all the information gleaned here out to her and let her decide ;)

May 20, 2015
I'm familiar with this camp. Once they get you on their email list, they will cattle call you to death to come to the camp. Unless your DD is specifically talking to a coach at any of these type of camps, it's probably not worth it other than to get some extra practice.

To add on to what FP26 wrote, the experience is great. Just be realistic about recruiting expectations at these camps. Most coaches, even D2/3 have camps. Having her go to those for the experience also helps get her exposure to coaches of schools she wants to attend.

on a side note, i brought her to a prospects camp in Orono (UMaine) back when she was 12.......i didn't tell her that's what it was until we got there.......so she's had the experience already, but i feel it would be harder for her now......taking a 12 year old into the unknown and pushing them out of their comfort zone is a heck of a lot easier than a 15 year old haha

Mar 20, 2017
Madison, WI
For my money, DD will focus on camps run by the schools she is interested in. Seeing how the coach interacts with the current players and prospects in his/her natural environment is important. Just in past few weeks, DD moved one school to the top of her list and removed one from the list altogether based on her camp experience. For an investment of about $300 she now knows to spend a lot more energy fostering a relationship with one coach and essentially none on the other.

Jun 11, 2012
PS: Murphdog's DD plays at Suffolk in the heart of Boston. Great law school. D3 program. Maybe she'll see this thread.
Hey- I did post earlier about going just for the experience but hadn’t mentioned Suffolk.

So to the OP, if your daughter is interest in being in downtown Boston studying prelaw Suffolk is a great place to check out.
DD is a sophomore softball player, psych major living in Beacon Hill this year.
It’s been an amazing experience so far and she’s as in love with the school as she was the first day she toured.
She looked at a bunch of other schools and talked to a bunch of other coaches but we knew after that first visit that this was where she wanted to be.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey- I did post earlier about going just for the experience but hadn’t mentioned Suffolk.

So to the OP, if your daughter is interest in being in downtown Boston studying prelaw Suffolk is a great place to check out.
DD is a sophomore softball player, psych major living in Beacon Hill this year.
It’s been an amazing experience so far and she’s as in love with the school as she was the first day she toured.
She looked at a bunch of other schools and talked to a bunch of other coaches but we knew after that first visit that this was where she wanted to be.

Small world... A girl a coach in travel ball pitches for a small school just outside of Boston. Quincy area...

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A timely thread. I have moved up the coaching ladder from 12 to 14 now 16U. I don't know much about the college thing. A team parent recently contacted me about taking her daughter to a local camp/clinic. The girl is a pitcher and shows some promise, she is interested in playing in college but only at the DIII level. There is an all day prospect clinic at Tufts with several other local colleges. There is also a clinic at a local State school. One is $175, the other $65. The girl is a 2023. I was thinking of telling the mother to take her to the state one since it is the girl's first exposure to anything like this. But then maybe she would get more out of the Tufts camp. Cost is a factor for this family. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
A timely thread. I have moved up the coaching ladder from 12 to 14 now 16U. I don't know much about the college thing. A team parent recently contacted me about taking her daughter to a local camp/clinic. The girl is a pitcher and shows some promise, she is interested in playing in college but only at the DIII level. There is an all day prospect clinic at Tufts with several other local colleges. There is also a clinic at a local State school. One is $175, the other $65. The girl is a 2023. I was thinking of telling the mother to take her to the state one since it is the girl's first exposure to anything like this. But then maybe she would get more out of the Tufts camp. Cost is a factor for this family. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Is the state school clinic just high school aged girls or is it open to 7th and up like the Tufts clinic?
DD went to a couple of Tufts clinics years ago but they were indoors and just Tufts and were just okay, especially for outfielders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying