Proper use/coaching points for Hitters PVC one hand bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My plan is to sell all the softball bats,gloves,hitting gadgets ect...to pay for college.Atleast thats what I tell the wife.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Building the PVC bat
Dark grey electricial pvc. Sometimes can only find it at a supply house, might find short pieces at Home depot or Lowes and an plastic end cap to fit it
A 15 in piece of dowel rod. I epoxy'd mine in flush with one end. Put small pan head screw up about 14inches to hold it until glue set up.
Wrapped a piece of electrical tape around it.
Bought easton bat choke slid on end. Bought bat grip and started around end of choke to hold it in place then wrapped it like any replacement grip tape.
Could use tennis racket tape

Howard uses number 9 shot. I forget the amount. Maybe 1-2 shotgun shells worth.
Slide in tube and then glue end on.

Hope this helps

Straightleg

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2011
Thanks guys...Just a couple of quick follow up questions:
What diameter pvc?
What is the advantage of the grey pvc over the white?
Is the 15" piece of dowel to provide weight at the hands, and to keep the shot in?
Ideally, when during the swing should you hear the shot hit the end?
Thanks again!!

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
3/4" OD. Grey is stronger, but I have some white that has lasted over 6 years. Just be careful on what type of T you use. It keeps the shot above the 15" mark to allow it to slide. You can hear the shot as your hand slides rearward as we get to bat lag and then goes to the end of the bat as we continue to swing.
The weight loaded above the handle is for centripetal force and the weight transfers towards the end of the bat at contact because of the unhinging action of the wrist after bat lag.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I just found a wiffle ball bat in my closet that we never used. It's 32" long and the end is sealed. The handle is just over 3/4" at the narrow part. Do you think I could insert the dowel into this and put grip tape on it? It looks pretty durable but I'm concerned that the shot will come down farther into the handle (maybe at about 10") Maybe skip the shot? She loves doing this drill.

May 13, 2008
Ideally, when during the swing should you hear the shot hit the end?
Thanks again!!

I know this was an old thread, but since SL resurrected it....

Ideally you should hear the shot hit the end right at the point of contact. The way I describe it to my hitters is to think of the buckshot as stored momentum, you maximize the use of the momentum when it hits the end of the bat at the same time you hit the ball.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA