Proper use/coaching points for Hitters PVC one hand bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Hello all- after seeing the PVC one hand bats mentioned in the "Purpose Of One Hand Drills" thread, I made a 30" and have everything but the bat knobs for the other two lengths I need. (For both of DD's and their two friends/team mates!)

We have used one hand drills for about a year using short bats, tee ball bats and the girls full size bats.

I'm no expert but while there are huge benefits to these drills with a regular bat, one drawback I see is dropping the bat head to get it moving and I guess that is one of the problems I would like to solve.

A couple questions I would like to specifically have answered:

1) When bat is swung correctly, what should I hear? Right now I hear the shot sliding forcefully to the end of the pipe just prior to contact. I also hear a nice whoosh that the bat is being swung hard.

2) What phrase might describe to the girls what they should feel when they swing this bat correctly or what they would feel if it isn't right?

3) Does the shot stay firmly in the bottom of the tube until release of bat head? (It seems that right now it is slowly moving up until it is flung to the end of the bat by releasing the bat head.)

We are hitting into the target that Mr. Carrier describes in his old posts.

Would like to hear any and all suggestions to get the most out of this gadget. Thanks, ww.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I made different lengths for the same size as there game bat. 30 - 31 - 32 - 33

The shot should slide down towards impact. You release early and ? You will hear it.

I like full length bats so they dont reach out over the plate with a small bat.

Try doing the reverse hand swing when doing one arm drills.
1. It will keep a constant separation distance
2. It will help to get a great finish through ball.

Straightleg

Apr 25, 2010
straightleg, can you pm me for instructions to build this thing? also, i'm wanting to make a homemade whip-hit. can you help?

Dec 11, 2010
Thanks SBFamily and Straightleg!

This is going to be a great piece of our plan. Love the reverse top hand drill, we do that regularly.

Had a little trouble finding the schedule 80, made a 30" out of the schedule 40 but I am going to redo it and make two other lengths later this week out of the good stuff!

Dec 11, 2010
Under- Here is the commercially made bat instructions. Maybe we could get some more info on it's use from those who use it regularly.

Couple tips on the PVC bat, make sure you take the length of the end cap into consideration when cutting to length. Glue the dowel into the handle first, put the bird shot in after the glue dries and cap it as the last thing. I capped the end first and had to drill a relief hole in it to let the air out when I slid the glue covered dowel into the handle. There was no other way to force the air out the way I did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2011
Straightleg...could I impose and ask you to PM me instructions on building the pvc and whip hit also...I would buy the stuff, but if my wife sees more softball items on the charge card I'll have bigger problems than my daughter's swing!! Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA