Pro swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
It's been a while that I watched the DVD and I'm sure you are correct but at the camp he was at that station and this is what my daughter herd or understood the station and the tee was used for.

When did pitching distance change in college? Murphy change his hitting phlospy when that happen.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I coached college ball in 2000 and the distance was 43 feet. I don't know when it changed before that.

It wouldn't surprise me if his hitters can change their swing depending on the situation.

T

theaddition

It's been a while that I watched the DVD and I'm sure you are correct but at the camp he was at that station and this is what my daughter herd or understood the station and the tee was used for.

When did pitching distance change in college? Murphy change his hitting phlospy when that happen.

Your DD was fortunate to have attended a clinic.
Alabama hitting this year is off the charts, as is Florida's.
Both teams top six hitters have OPS' (on base % plus slugging %) over 1.000.
Florida's team BA is .363 and Alabama's team BA is .342.

Bama has the one of the best players in the country in Jackie Traina.
She's hitting .408 with 12 HRs and 12-0 with 1.23 ERA in the circle.
And she's a freshman.

BD

Oct 19, 2009
We were also fortunate to have front row seats for last Saturday game, Al & GA. We watched and studied hitters during the game and BB before the game , showed up three hours early to do that. To me the best mechanical swing I saw was Alisa Goler, a lefty who set GA HR record, she hit 90% of the balls over the fence in practice. I’m also a lefty so I’m partial. There were a log of great swings on both sides.

Taylor Schlopy and Megan Wiggins and some of the other GA hitters had unorthodox swings to me. They were what I would call a slowpitch softball swing, Schlopy it sure worked for her 502 tall and hit a towering shot over the score board in the game.

On Saturday they set attendance record 3,200 plus, don't recall the exact number it was great and so much fun.:cool:

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
In his instruction part of the camp he talks about the hands coming down from the load position to the swing position he stresses that the hands should come down at an angle and not straight down. He describes it; the hand should come down like an airplane landing and not a helicopter landing, I have this in my notes.
That is interesting. Wasn't that way on the video. Dropping hands like a helecopter is a problem with young hitters. Patrick Murphy's players hit like crazy. That's why I bought the DVD'S to start with. That is why I was trying to square the angle down tee with the bombs I saw his players hitting.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

NCAA changed the pitching distance from 40’ to 43’ in 1987

Oct 19, 2009
That is interesting. Wasn't that way on the video. Dropping hands like a helecopter is a problem with young hitters. Patrick Murphy's players hit like crazy. That's why I bought the DVD'S to start with. That is why I was trying to square the angle down tee with the bombs I saw his players hitting.

Another way he described it was the difference between a kids rollercosterr and adult rollercoster, the kids rollercoster is slow comming down and the adult rollercoster is steeper and much faster, again these are from my notes at the camp.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Your DD was fortunate to have attended a clinic.
Alabama hitting this year is off the charts, as is Florida's.
Both teams top six hitters have OPS' (on base % plus slugging %) over 1.000.
Florida's team BA is .363 and Alabama's team BA is .342.

Bama has the one of the best players in the country in Jackie Traina.
She's hitting .408 with 12 HRs and 12-0 with 1.23 ERA in the circle.
And she's a freshman.

BD

Jackie Traina .....

AlabamaJackieTrainaFoul.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In his instruction part of the camp he talks about the hands coming down from the load position to the swing position he stresses that the hands should come down at an angle and not straight down. He describes it; the hand should come down like an airplane landing and not a helicopter landing, I have this in my notes. The tee is not to hit ground balls, but according to my daughter to have players feel the correct angle/plane the hands are to follow getting from load position to swing position.

Visual of the hand path with both 'top' and 'bottom' hands highlighted .....

BrianGiles_xmo_HandPath.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah