Pre-season Practice start-up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I coach a U12 LL team with 2 other guys and we are trying to get a regular, 1x per week, pre-season, clinic-type practice going for our team.

The first time we tried to do something was right before Christmas (for one day on the week after Christmas), then we tried to do it again a few weeks later . out of both of those I only received two replies and one commitment. I'm even inviting the girls who aged out and will be trying out for the Senior league this season.

Are the girls (parents) typically sluggish to get started? Is there a special way you need to 'couch' this to get people to reply? My DDs would've jumped at the chance if it was ever presnted to them.

I just sent out the announcement for the clinic-type practices and noted that there are 6 Sundays until tryouts, so I hope we get better response than the last two times.

I'm thinking that if I don't get a decent response, it will be a good indicator of the attitude of the team. In which case I may just contact a couple kids that I know I can work with individually and just do that.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
I am not trying to put rec ball down in any way....

That being said, this is the primary different between rec and travel. A kid who is travel material, will jump and the chance to work on skills. Their parents will be more than happy to provide transportation. Much of the time, people who don't play/know anything about travel, think you only practice "during the season". Basically, once all-stars is over, no more practice until March when the team comes back together. So maybe you could use that information to subtly "shame" them into coming? I WISH someone would do this for the local rec teams. Maybe they could shake off that mentality.

We have a town in our league whose teams consistently destroy all the other rec teams in the county. The parents of all these other teams always wonder why their kids get their butts handed to them. Well, it's because that one town has their kids practicing over the winter, participating in clinics. Many of that town's coaches also coach travel. In our age group, we were the only team to give that town a loss on the season. We beat their stud team in league play, and we beat their 2nd team for the district champs. Their stud team went on to win state in our age group.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Much of the time, people who don't play/know anything about travel, think you only practice "during the season". Basically, once all-stars is over, no more practice until March when the team comes back together

i think you may be right. Sometimes I forget. I was thinking of calling it "infielders practice" and insinuating that by not attending you won't play in the infield.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Speaking for my own family, my DD is too busy to start organized softball practice yet. Individual lessons and working together is OK because we have a lot of flexibility on the frequency, time and duration. Softball is low on the priosrity list until basketball is over then it will move up.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
I agree it's probably typical for rec league and wouldn't reflect on your team. More girls would probably like to participate in clinics if the parents would let them.

For example my rec league has once a week pre-season clinics. Around 50 out of 350 total players show up - about 15%.

If you get your league to sponsor clinics you could attract more players.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I believe you should work with the kids who are willing to put the time in. Rec league is just that, recreational. With that said, I commend you for trying to help a program. Little League is a tough program to work with on the girls side. There are exceptions, but I have not encountered any.

Jul 26, 2010
Parents generally won't commit to something unless there is money involved. Once they spend their money on something, they will wholly believe they made the "best decision ever"(tm) until proven otherwise.

I have even tried to hold free winter clinics for my TB team and had dismal results. Then I started charging for the same thing, and nearly everyone came. Parents, what can you say?

-W

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I might say something like, due to the short amount of time available in the spring before games. We would like to have a head start on making our decisions on positions so that once our outdoor practices begin we can go right into position practice, and not having to spend extra time figuring out who goes where.

Basically let them know that these sessions will count toward the decisions that you make.

Sep 3, 2009
i think you may be right. Sometimes I forget. I was thinking of calling it "infielders practice" and insinuating that by not attending you won't play in the infield.

I think you're on to something there. Just put a note in your email that it's "only for the girls who want to play infield". :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red