Prayer circles after games

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 1, 2009
Liberty (Falwell's college) gave us these little religious sheets at a tourney when we asked to use the bathroom on their air-conditioned bus. (I know sounds strange, but our game was outside the complex and no bathrooms.)

When we visited the campus, I won't go into all the attempts at conversion. We thought it funny and kept saying what our religion was (some Methodist, some Catholic, a Lutheran) and that we were already Christian. They still wanted us to convert.

I find the invite to a prayer circle very insulting, being in a neighborhood of multi religions. I keep my religion to myself. Keep yours to yourselves. If we want to do a prayer circle, we can do our own.

If you are a christian how could you call any prayer an insult? The answer is you couldn't and you aren't.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
If you are a christian how could you call any prayer an insult? The answer is you couldn't and you aren't.

Reading comprehension? Nothing was said about a prayer being an insult, but the invitation.

Jan 24, 2011
Liberty (Falwell's college) gave us these little religious sheets at a tourney when we asked to use the bathroom on their air-conditioned bus. (I know sounds strange, but our game was outside the complex and no bathrooms.)

When we visited the campus, I won't go into all the attempts at conversion. We thought it funny and kept saying what our religion was (some Methodist, some Catholic, a Lutheran) and that we were already Christian. They still wanted us to convert.

I find the invite to a prayer circle very insulting, being in a neighborhood of multi religions. I keep my religion to myself. Keep yours to yourselves. If we want to do a prayer circle, we can do our own.

Why be insulted? Just politely decline and move along with your day. Way too uptight.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Who says when you get into the prayer circle, that you can't pray to Allah, or whomever you want? I'm so sick of the politically correct crap! We live in the United States of the Offended, get over it already!!

Our girls always do the high five/good game thing after the game, we dont start the prayer circle but if the other team does and invites us over, of course we participate. Whats the harm in standing in a circle? Nobody is holding a gun to anybodys head and making them pray, you can just stand there and do nothing, it's 30 seconds of your life, handle it!

Mar 29, 2012
Our girls don't do one, but if the girls were not forced and decided on their own they wanted to do one then I see no problem what so ever. It's freedom OF religon, not freedom FROM religon, people seem to forget that sometimes.

In fact I find the tunnel the other team makes into the dugout and "run through we are proud of you" chant more offensive than a prayer circle.

Apr 27, 2009
Rowdy:
Is that Christian behavior to say I am not one, in fact judging me? No.

Just like in the Civil War (read historic speech), God does not take sides in war (or sports and further is not responsible for who wins), and I don't want you to force your practices on me. Inviting me to other activities I consider better private than public or for that matter barging in on my opinion about any other private issue would give me the same disdain. It is making me feel uncomfortable to say no.

In fact, many players are Jewish. You really think you can just expect another religion to pop in the circle and start their prayers? not realistic.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
In fact I find the tunnel the other team makes into the dugout and "run through we are proud of you" chant more offensive than a prayer circle.

Here in lies the problem, you take offense to the tunnel, others may take offense to the invitation to the prayer circle.

If your team wants to do a prayer circle great, just don't ask mine. I am assistant coach for DDs team, there are 10 other girls on the team, besides my DD I am not aware of the religious beliefs or lack there of regarding any of the other players or parents and do not really find it any of my business to know nor do I feel compelled to find out. IMO religion is a personal choice. I do not force my religious beliefs or religious opinions on others any only ask the same in return.

Mar 29, 2012
Here in lies the problem, you take offense to the tunnel, others may take offense to the invitation to the prayer circle.

If your team wants to do a prayer circle great, just don't ask mine. I am assistant coach for DDs team, there are 10 other girls on the team, besides my DD I am not aware of the religious beliefs or lack there of regarding any of the other players or parents and do not really find it any of my business to know nor do I feel compelled to find out. IMO religion is a personal choice. I do not force my religious beliefs or religious opinions on others any only ask the same in return.

With the tunnel we are not asked or given a choice. Our parks have only one entrance into the dugouts from the field and the other team blocks it with their tunnel.

If you are asked to do something you can say no and be done with it, it's when you aren't given a choice that there is a problem in my opinion.

Jan 24, 2011

Nobody forces anything. They give an invitation. If the girls dont want to do it , they can decline. The ones that are praying have the right to do so and the ones that decline have the same right. Not a real big deal. Too many people getting too easily offended about things. (typically the parents , not the kids)

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Nobody forces anything. They give an invitation. If the girls dont want to do it , they can decline. The ones that are praying have the right to do so and the ones that decline have the same right. Not a real big deal. Too many people getting too easily offended about things. (typically the parents , not the kids)

Interesting.... you seem to be offended by the opinion that there are those out there that don't want the prayer circle invitation. I also noticed your snide comment to Screwball has been removed, did you take offense to Screw's comments? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06