Practice vs Gametime pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2012
My DD and I were talking about an article or post I read (may have been here) that talked about pitchers that seem to really bring it during practice and warmups but when pitching in a game seem to lose something. She admitted that she feels that more than she would like and looking back on alot of her games she was really zipping the ball when with her instructor and in warmups but come gametime she seemed to lose a little.

I chatted with a friend of mine this past weekend about this (he was her instructor for a short time also) and he agreed that it does happen. One of things he does as part of his instruction sessions to help cure this is have them pitch with their eyes closed....I think he has had them do this in games too. In his time working with my daughter he never mentioned this or had her try it. I am not questioning the validity of this technique but would like you guys to weigh in and give me a little advice in terms of helping my daughter fix the issue in her own game as well.

I am sure this issue has been discussed here before but need a refresher. My daughter and I will be working out tomorrow and would like some ideas to talk with her about. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the eyes closed drill, but it is for hitting her spots. I think that girls let up in games because they don't have confidence in their catchers. I am seeing no catchers that are taking private lessons or even getting any help. They are up on their toes and using a fielding glove. They are not talking and they are not helping their pitcher, with their glove positions.

So, what do we have pitchers do? Should they throw hard, knowing that the ball is going to the back stop, because the catcher can't catch?

Another factor is the coaches yelling from the dugout, "you're ahead in the count don't lose her" or "just throw strikes" our HC this season is actually coaching one of his girls he has coached for several yrs to slow down and just get it over. I want to step in and say something but I'm just the fill in AC for fall ball and the parents love him and respect him so I'm not about to get into the middle of, I know he means well we have had a few walk fests this year.

As far as pitching with your eyes closed you can use whatever drill or technique you want in practice but I would never tell anyone on the field about no let go of a ball that someone is trying to hit back at them to close their eyes.

Oct 24, 2012
LaGrange, Ohio
I have seen this too, and i think its because some pitchers try to "aim" the pitch to hit their spots instead of trusting their pitching (and possibly so that the catcher would catch it ). When dd was 11 we noticed she did this during the game so from that point forward, for about a year, we had her sister or brother simulate the batter while she practiced pitching at home. It helped.

Dec 29, 2010
Game time you feel the energy from the fans, coaches, teammates. Words of encouragement/support. Positive vibes then on then other side you have opposing fans, coaches, players cheering for their batters. Add to the fact, when the opposing bench whips up in a frenzy with their chants. Sometimes not so nice. That's a lot to deal with for kids.

My dd is 2nd year 12u. Shes not the fastest, she doesn't have the best break on her breaking pitches, she sometimes walk 2 an inning. Her best asset is her mental toughness. Hits a batter doesn't care, get rips for a home run doesnt care, catcher let's a ball get by doesnt care. She k's to end an inning, gets back on the mound to do her job. Staying calm and relaxed

Almost like a qb in the NFL, they get a lot of credit for wins and a lot of blame when they lose.

They have the ball in their hands the majority of the time.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
11YO DD will slow down when she gets frustrated with the umps strike zone. The umps that call the exact same pitch a strike one time and a ball the next. I know we have all been there. The control what you can speech does not seem to help.

We are trying to work through it.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pitching with your eyes closed doesn't really help this problem because it's not something you can take into the game. I'd say that's more something that would help if the pitcher is ALWAYS holding back and throwing below her potential velocity because she's trying to guide the ball timidly into the strike zone.

If she's just losing a bit in games, you should bring as many game factors into her practices as possible. You can't get a cheering crowd, but have her throw to her team catcher, have someone stand in as a batter, and have her throw simulated innings with balls and strikes called. I end all my advanced lessons this way. The kid has to strike out 3 before allowing a run to score. A walk is a walk, and if she throws a strike but misses her spot it's a hit.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
"I chatted with a friend of mine this past weekend about this (he was her instructor for a short time also) and he agreed that it does happen. One of things he does as part of his instruction sessions to help cure this is have them pitch with their eyes closed....I think he has had them do this in games too. In his time working with my daughter he never mentioned this or had her try it. I am not questioning the validity of this technique but would like you guys to weigh in and give me a little advice in terms of helping my daughter fix the issue in her own game as well.

I am sure this issue has been discussed here before but need a refresher. My daughter and I will be working out tomorrow and would like some ideas to talk with her about. Thanks"

A s an instructor, I used a blindfold on students to build their confidence. I posted that here some time ago..

What I said to do was, if accuracy seemed off, take the pitchers position, bring the hands together and then close your eyes for two seconds. Then quickly open your eyyes as you start your wind up, quickly focuus on the catchers glove and throw the pitch.

As far as things the other team is saying, I will make a seperate post on that.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
In our (DD's and mine), slower pitching during games is due to confidence in hitting spots so she slows and tries to guide or aim the ball to the spot. The best thing to ever happen to her was early in the summer season, her coach pulled her aside before the last game of the day and told her "I don't care where the ball goes, I want you throwing as fast as you can". She pitched a great game against a very good team and that confidence followed her for the rest of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes