Practice Plan

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2017
The greatest thing I learned in 20+ years is Rome was not built in a day, so practice plans are going to evolve over a season.

@Cornbread touched on this. First week you may teach the every days for 15-20 minutes correcting form. Maybe then force-out/tag-out technique or just explain drills or throwing form. As the players pick things up the plan evolves and you move on.

I suggest spending time creating a schedule with milestones. For example:

Week 1 - individual skills like just plain ground ball fielding, catching, tagging, throwing technique. Teach every days or some core skills you want to focus on all season.
Week 2 - variations of drills flips, on the run, one handed, outfield do or die, base running
Week 3 - Paired skills so now the underhand flip and throw to first with a force out using proper technique. OR outfield into a relay.
Week 4 - ball priority, or first and thirds, run downs...
Etc...

As the season goes on you keep a few fundamentals (I do every days and a throwing progression) but focus on practice on things that that went poorly in your previous games or new team concepts.

Also a back to basics practice my need to happen every once in a while so don’t be afraid to jump back to an old plan for a day here and there.

Hope this helps
CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2017
This is a funny story...I am a loud guy by nature and when I get excited my voice gets louder. So at my 1st 7U practice for my Son's team I was explaining something to them and a kid raises his hand and says "You are too loud..." :LOL:

We must be twins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 6, 2015
my input would be to work on the things you identify in games as needing improvement, or new things you want them to try in games.

generally, the first X times someone or a group of someones tries something new, it does not work as anticipated. gotta get those throwaway reps out in practice if possible.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish