Practice Bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I could see edge weighted gloves offering an advantage ... sort of like how the Anderson Rocketech bat uses weighted knobs in their design.

There was a high-level softball game recently where I saw a wood bat in the dugout ... it was either a NPF or one of the WCWS games ... don't recall which one ... but I did take note that a player was moving a wood bat around.

Still would like feedback on what weight/size bats folks are using ... especially would like to hear from those that have completely moved their practices to wood bats.

Dec 15, 2009
i don't know the size or weight of our high school's weighted bat, but I love it. I feel it losing my arms up. And i like to swing it in a windmill motion and it stretches my arm for throwing and my throws are much better

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Wood is less forgiving, requiring contact dead on the sweet spot to produce results. I've read about baseball coaches in HS doing this sort of thing to get the players focused in on pure contact. They're swinging heavier bats though, so the weight difference wouldn't alter their mechanics.

Oct 12, 2009
Wood is less forgiving, requiring contact dead on the sweet spot to produce results. I've read about baseball coaches in HS doing this sort of thing to get the players focused in on pure contact. They're swinging heavier bats though, so the weight difference wouldn't alter their mechanics.

If the bats are too heavy, then they will alter their mechanics, which can be a problem (and is why you don't want to use bats that are too heavy or too light).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Big difference between girls swinging a "-10" and "-3". I'd like more info from those claiming to have switched their practices over completely to 'wood'. What size/weight wood bats are being used?

Oct 12, 2009
Big difference between girls swinging a "-10" and "-3". I'd like more info from those claiming to have switched their practices over completely to 'wood'. What size/weight wood bats are being used?

I know from trying to find overweight and underweight bats for my son that it's a myth that all wood bats are -3.

There is a huge variation in wood bat drops from -5 or -7 to +3 or more.

P.S. My son's aluminum -3 is actually -1.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA