Possible concussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
My dd is a starting pitcher on her HS team. The HS coach doesn't let ANY of his pitchers bat during a game. This has obviously made a few players and their parents not happy, but I will continue.

My DD has been busting her but most of the year taking batting practice with her batting coach even though she knew she wouldn't bat during HS games. But during warm-ups before the games all the pitchers do take batting practice. My DD has been killing the ball during this time and during normal team practices also. So the head coach tells my DD that he might have to let her hit for herself during an upcoming game.

During last night's game my DD got the news that she would bat for herself. She was very excited and was batting 6th in the order. First two at bats were so-so, a hard grounder to SS, and the second was a pop-up to 1st. Top of the 7th inning and the score is 0-0. DD pitched 6 good innings with 7K, 1BB. She lead off the inning with a hard line drive for a single. 6 runs later she took the box for her 4th at bat in the same inning. First pitch and she gets smacked in the head. She rolled into the pitch to save her hands but the ball rose up and smacked her in the back of the head, near the top of the helmet. She ran to first and was pinch ran for. She didn't finish the game on the mound either.

It wasn't long after the game she started to feel sick and she has a big headache. The ball wasn't a direct hit, it mostly glanced off the top, but it was a decent speed pitch. Never-the-less my DD got hit and now not feeling well. She traveled home with the team on the bus (away game) and when she got home she was less than thrilled about being allowed to bat considering she was still feeling sick. I looked at her eyes and they seamed fine. Her balance was good and hearing seemed normal.

Fast forward to today. She is still feeling sick and has a headache. She REALLY doesn't want to tell the HS coach because she won't get to bat again. Should we just see how it goes for the next day or so and then see a doctor? Not sure what a doctor could do at this point. Only 5 games left in the HS season....

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
See a doctor ASAP. Concussions can be very serious. Even if she does not have a concussion, you'll want to see a doctor simply to rule that out.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Without knowing your kid, and seeing the hit, no one hear can answer that, except to say carry her to the Doc.

If I carried my middle DD to the Doc every time she said she was hurt or sick, I'd live there. If my oldest says she's hurt, or sick, you better listen.

I hope she feels better and every thing is OK.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We are not supposed to provide medical advice on this board. However, if my DD had a headache and was feeling nauseous after being hit in the head for any reason, she would have been in the ER that night. A person will recover from a concussion. What you worry about is bleeding from the brain that can kill you within hours.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Best to get her evaluated. They will go through the quiz and reflex tests and determine whether she has one and what severity. Based on that, they will determine whether additional tests are required. CT is not something they do without a strong indication, since there are risks.

Nov 14, 2011
I checked in with my dd a couple of times yesterday while she was at school. She said she still had a small headache but not too bad. The head coach checked in on her after lunch and had the school sports physician look at her. Apparently the head coach knew something wasn't right yesterday and brought the school doctor to see her. Because most of her symptoms were gone and just a small headache remained he cleared her to participate in practice, but no pitching, batting. She will also sit out tonight's game and rest for Saturday's double-header.

Because of the hit to the head at her last at bat, that ended her batting with the high school for the rest of the year. She ended up hitting 5 for 9 on the year or a .555 batting average which includes 2 hit by pitch appearances. LOL.

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks for everyone's advice. Obviously we are moving forward cautiously and keep monitoring her health status. The problem that we have is that my dd having a headache is actually normal for her. Not normal as it should be happening, but normal in the fact that she has multiple headache's several times a week. She has been to our pediatrician, family doctor, neurologist, cardiologist, etc. She has had stress tests, MRI's, CT's, sleep studies, everything. All of the tests have come back "normal", yet she continues to have headaches. Our last neurologist prescribed a medication to help with the headaches but that made other issues worse (sleeping, appetite, memory loss, lethargic, dizzy spells and more). We told the doctor that we couldn't allow our DD to stay on that medication because her school work was drastically effected. Plus she still had the headaches. Family doctor put my DD on a gluten free diet. That lasted for about 6 weeks and my dd gave up on that also because she said "food tastes like crap and I STILL have headaches. If I am still going to have the headaches then at least I should have good pizza!" Too funny.

So I guess we have been down a bumpy road with regards to my dd's health issues. I talked to the HC last night and he said that the ball that hit her wasn't a hard throw, it was actually a change-up that got away from the pitcher. But the damage was done and must have hit my dd in the wrong spot. She is sitting out today's game and will not participate in practice tomorrow either. She will play the 2nd game of Saturday's double-header depending on her condition.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
When I was younger, I had headaches every single day. Not sure why but they seemed to occur most frequently in the morning. I'm not sure when it stopped because I learned to live with it and they went away throughout the course of the day.

Hopefully DD will be on the up and up soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan