Positioning of feet during the pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Working with young first-time and almost first-time pitchers. I typically teach them how to snap the ball into the glove, ”T”s, ‘K”s, maybe some skating drills the slingshot and the basic windmill. for all of these drills, I typically have them keeping their stride foot or lead foot perpendicular to the target. So both feet are parallel at the start. The back foot will turn and push, but the front foot remains perpendicular to the path of the ball. my reason for this is that its easier to Keep the hips open prior to release.
we had a new coach running a session, and she had them allways keeping the front foot pointing at the target, no matter what drill they were doing.
at the time i just dismissed it as a different style/personal preference. But the more i think about it, the more i think its a bad thing.
what say you? Whats the benefit?

Sep 19, 2018
"T's" ?? what is skating? My dd has been taught that the landing foot should be about 45 degree. Here is a good start

Feb 8, 2019
"T's" ?? what is skating? My dd has been taught that the landing foot should be about 45 degree. Here is a good start

This wasnt my question, but its great and answering questions i didnt know i had (seriously!) - thank you!

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
About 90% of the top pitchers land with foot at 45. The most notable exception is Ueno, the best pitcher in the world.

Ueno: 5 (Almost straight at catcher)
Osterman: 45
Sam Snow: 45
Pauly: 45
Finch: 45
Barnhill: 45
Garcia: 45
Gabby Plain: 45
Amber Fiser: 90 (She twists her foot after release to get into the 45 degree position)
Juarez: 45
Fairmo: 30
Fouts: 45 (she twists foot to end up at 0, straight at catcher)
Williams: 80 (twists foot after release to get into 45 degree position)

Apr 12, 2015
Pitching from parallel is pointless because it does nothing to simulate what actually takes place during a pitch.

Why would you want to drill in a position where you cannot effectively train brush?

And why would you want your hips to stay open at 90 degrees through the pitch?

Feb 8, 2019
Pitching from parallel is pointless because it does nothing to simulate what actually takes place during a pitch.

Why would you want to drill in a position where you cannot effectively train brush?

And why would you want your hips to stay open at 90 degrees through the pitch?
1- thanks
2- its only a stepping stone
3- they dont stay open at 90 degrees through the pitch. why would anyone want to do that?

so my question was about placement of the stride foot pointing straight at the catcher- Do you have anything more to add to what’s been mentioned above?

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
so my question was about placement of the stride foot pointing straight at the catcher- Do you have anything more to add to what’s been mentioned above?
In this video, Ueno is warming up. She has her foot at 45 until right before plant, and then she straightens out her right foot before landing.

If you watch a game video, she lands with her foot at 45, and then immediately straightens it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying