Position in lineup...what does it say about her hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 30, 2011
My younger daughter (12) leads our team with a .447 batting average, has the most RBI's on the team (37) and in the last tournament came up to bat 5 different times with bases loaded. 95% of the time shes batter 5 in the line up. The other 5% shes number 6. At the beginning of the year I was a little irritated with where she was but as it turns out the coach knows his team better then I. Ive seen coaches stack both the top and the bottom and leave the middle light. I guess at the end of the day, you have to believe that your coach wants to win as much as anybody and will put kids in the batting order he/she feels gives his team the best chance.

Dec 11, 2010
Interesting discussion. DD 14u hits leadoff and I was just laying in bed awake wondering how she would do in about the #5 spot.

Was thinking it might take some pressure off her and let her swing away a little more. I know why the coach bats her there, she's fast, gets on base, usually takes the pitcher deep into count on first at bat etc etc but I think she feels a lot of pressure there that I don't see in subsequent at bats in the game.

I'm no softball guru but I can really see how your place in the lineup gives you a different job to do and it affects your hitting.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Interesting discussion. DD 14u hits leadoff and I was just laying in bed awake wondering how she would do in about the #5 spot.

Was thinking it might take some pressure off her and let her swing away a little more. I know why the coach bats her there, she's fast, gets on base, usually takes the pitcher deep into count on first at bat etc etc but I think she feels a lot of pressure there that I don't see in subsequent at bats in the game.

I'm no softball guru but I can really see how your place in the lineup gives you a different job to do and it affects your hitting.

DD usually bats leadoff, she has asked the coach to move her into a different slot and he just ignores her. :)

Dec 11, 2010
Quincy-

Coach probably doesn't have another girl that can do it...

I'm thinking the speedy left-hander on DD's team might be a good fit for leadoff...

I guess having a daughter batting first is a good "problem" to have

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD use to lead-off.She felt to much pressure to get on with a hit or walk.2 position coach had her bunting for hit or sac.Likes to swing away.DD did what the coached ask.DD is not 3,4, or 5 hole hitter.DD is not a power hitter. Now she is in the 6th position says she likes this the best.Sometimes it's like leading off with less pressure then starting the game as a lead off hitter.Hits well in this position.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619