pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Interesting question. The opportunity to distinguish the difference between an average- and great-hitting catcher only comes along 3 or 4 times per game whereas there are 75-100+ times/game when an average v. great defensive catcher has the opportunity to make a difference. In other words, a great catcher has 75-100 more opportunities to positively influence the game! Long recognized by MLB, but overlooked by most involved in FP IMO.

To answer your question, most coaches are better suited to coach up hitting than catching. Regardless of that, IMO taking the great defensive but average-hitting catcher and working on elevating their hitting would still be most productive.

Agreed on the hitting numbers, but not sure about the "75-100+ times/game when an average v. great defensive catcher has the opportunity to make a difference"
First, at the college level, wouldn't you need to throw out a large number of those pitchers that are straight to the glove where any catcher at that level should make?
Second, throw out all the pitches she misses when there is no runner on or it's not a dropped 3rd. They don't matter because they didn't "influence the game"

I guess my point is, how many times per game does a great defensive catcher make a difference over an average catcher? My bet is the number is nearly as high as 75-100.

With all that said, give me the defense. I have way more confidence in my ability to coach hitting. Plus, I'd rather my pitchers be confident in the girl behind the plate.

They may very well have 75-100+ opportunities. Sometimes more than 1 opportunity per pitch. However, the number of times that opportunity is realized is much, much lower. That said if the catcher can pick off 1 runner and throw out 1 more while stealing they have now accounted for just under 10% of the outs in a 7 inning game. Now throw in 5 pitches that would have been balls that they convert to strikes and they have just taken a pitcher throwing 60% strikes into the 70% range. Throw in the intangibles and you have a player who has made a very significant yet often unrecognized impact to a teams performance by realizing only 7 of the 75-100+ opportunities. I have always said that a poor catcher can make a good pitcher look mediocre where a great catcher can make a good pitcher look great.

As to coaching up a catcher to become a better hitter, most programs are well equipped to do this as almost all have a competent hitting coach. Unfortunately most programs do not have the expertise to coach up a catcher to become a better catcher. If you look closely many Big D1 and the vast majority of lesser programs do not have a competent pitching coach like a Rick Pauley at Georgia. And I have never heard of a dedicated catching coach. Most often you have a coach who "works with the pitchers and catchers".

Last edited:
May 20, 2013
There's a huge difference between a GREAT defensive catcher, and a catcher that simply doesn't make mistakes. GREAT defensive catchers are very few and far between.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
... Throw in the intangibles and you have a player who has made a very significant yet often unrecognized impact to a teams performance by realizing only 7 of the 75-100+ opportunities. I have always said that a poor catcher can make a good pitcher look mediocre where a great catcher can make a good pitcher look great....[/I].

Even truer when the catcher can call the game.

Mar 21, 2013
Would you think it is easier to "coach up" a decent catcher with a great bat, or a great catcher with an average bat? College coaches need players that can hit college pitching, and IMHO coaching up a good athlete defensively is much easier than trying to teach them to hit a 68 MPH riseball!

Absolutely, especially since you can count the number of people that can hit a true 68mph riseball on one hand to begin with.

Apr 14, 2011
We recently learned how mesmerized coaches can be with pop time. We just left a 1st year 14u team that measured pop times from time to time. All three catchers were 2.0 and below. The fastest was about 1.8. To this coaching staff the 1.8 pop time automatically made her the top catcher on the team. Never mind that ALL of the 1.8 throws were bad throws, or that she's a lazy catcher, or that she's a horrible blocker!

I also have a problem with pop time being done at practices. My actual game time measurements showed a completely different result. It also makes it difficult to time when the aforementioned catcher doesn't try to throw to 2nd on steals!

It's unfortunate that catching is one of the areas where many coaches lack expertise!

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
I can already see the difference in my DD from going from a coach that "lack(s) A DECENT UNDERSTANDING OF THE POSITION!" to one that dedicates time for the catchers to practice their craft. Blocking, throws to ALL bases around batters, calling pitches and plays, and all the little stuff that makes good and great catchers. I hope her HS coach will appreciate her "off season" hard work. I'm excited to see what DD's pop time is now.

Apr 1, 2010
We recently learned how mesmerized coaches can be with pop time. We just left a 1st year 14u team that measured pop times from time to time. All three catchers were 2.0 and below. The fastest was about 1.8. To this coaching staff the 1.8 pop time automatically made her the top catcher on the team. Never mind that ALL of the 1.8 throws were bad throws, or that she's a lazy catcher, or that she's a horrible blocker!

I also have a problem with pop time being done at practices. My actual game time measurements showed a completely different result. It also makes it difficult to time when the aforementioned catcher doesn't try to throw to 2nd on steals!

It's unfortunate that catching is one of the areas where many coaches lack expertise!

I tend to agree. Measuring pop times and then grading a catcher solely on pop time is like grading a hitter solely on bat speed off the tee. It's just one aspect of the job. A pop time that's slightly slower could possibly (but is unlikely to) cost you a game. Bad throwing and horrible blocking from your catcher is a killer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283