pop times

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
These are from an older thread. .. Do you agree with these numbers?

EXCELLENT = 1.6 seconds or less (Olympic Level Catchers)
GOOD = 1.8 seconds (Top College Level catchers)
AVERAGE COLLEGE = 1.9 to 2.1 seconds
AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL = 2.3 seconds

Dec 19, 2012
I (more or less) agree with them if the times are from real game situations, not from a skills video where the catcher is thrown a ball high enough where they receive it basically standing up and moving forward without a hitter in the batters box.

Feb 3, 2011
Thinking that you can accurately measure pop times using a stopwatch is pure fantasy.
Why is that? If your reaction time is about the same to both sounds and you're standing an equal distance away from both the catcher and 2B, wouldn't the stopwatch give a pretty fair reading?

I got the chance to watch Jenny Topping do a few throwdowns this past weekend. "Wow" is all I can say. She's obviously got a rifle for an arm, but the pinpoint accuracy of those throws was what truly amazed me.

Oct 10, 2011
times

DD has only been measured once just recently but didn't get her time from the coach. All he said was great job and gave her a high five. I wish she would have asked. I was just curious because I want to use it to see how she's improving over time.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
These are from an older thread. .. Do you agree with these numbers?

EXCELLENT = 1.6 seconds or less (Olympic Level Catchers)
GOOD = 1.8 seconds (Top College Level catchers)
AVERAGE COLLEGE = 1.9 to 2.1 seconds
AVERAGE HIGH SCHOOL = 2.3 seconds

I agree with this. However ask me if they truly matter and if they even need to be stressed to catchers? Not really. I know a catcher that throws 1.68 in game with a 3.9GPA. She can hit, run and play SS. Should be on T.V. every year with a 1.68 right? Nope she's not tall enough at only 5'3''. So really these are great numbers to shoot for as they will open doors for you, but need to throw in the size portion also. Anything under 2.0 and you're probably playing somewhere in D1 if you have the size, leadership, GPA and offense to compliment.

Dec 19, 2012
I agree with this. However ask me if they truly matter and if they even need to be stressed to catchers? Not really. I know a catcher that throws 1.68 in game with a 3.9GPA. She can hit, run and play SS. Should be on T.V. every year with a 1.68 right? Nope she's not tall enough at only 5'3''. So really these are great numbers to shoot for as they will open doors for you, but need to throw in the size portion also. Anything under 2.0 and you're probably playing somewhere in D1 if you have the size, leadership, GPA and offense to compliment.

Alabama or Georgia recently had a 5'3" catcher a couple of years ago.

Dec 19, 2012
From Alabama 2013-2014 roster:

22 Molly Fichtner Catcher 5-2 SR Houston, Texas (UT-San Antonio)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00