Pop Time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2015
My dd will throw you out 90-95% of the time in a game If you try to steal on her but go to a clinic and get timed and it's like someone hit the slo mo button. Anyone else have this problem and how do you fix it !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
My dd will throw you out 90-95% of the time in a game If you try to steal on her but go to a clinic and get timed and it's like someone hit the slo mo button. Anyone else have this problem and how do you fix it !!!

That's awesome! Have you ever tried clocking her pop time in a game? It might just be her overthinking what all she needs to do to get the ball from point A to B. The mental aspect of it is tough especially when you have someone watching and timing your every move. I'd ask her what it is she's thinking.

Sep 28, 2015
I know it has to be mental. I don't want to make it worse too by focusing too much on it with her. Maybe I'll just quietly mention it to her catching coach. And hope that she gets to throw out a few girls in front of the right coaches this summer lol

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I agree on the mental. My DD's game time get below 2 (Which I thnk is good for a 12yo) but her best at a lesson or clinic was 2.03. I think during a game it just happens but if you know you are being timed you have a chance to think about the process.

Sep 28, 2015
I agree on the mental. My DD's game time get below 2 (Which I thnk is good for a 12yo) but her best at a lesson or clinic was 2.03. I think during a game it just happens but if you know you are being timed you have a chance to think about the process.

I think that's a great time for a 12 yo. I wish one day I could get a pop time on my dd in a game. I'm sure it would be impressive. I don't think I'll ever get her to stop "thinking" so much at clinics lol.

Oct 12, 2015
All Over I Coach TB
Similar issue with mine and she is a D1 catcher. We have talked about several times as I see this a lot in my TB organization as I coach catchers. I talked to a psychologist friend of mine who thinks it may due to chemical trigger, similar to the release of adrenalin. They are just quicker in game situations when they have to be. Mine thinks it has to do with the runner and having that visual key when you see them going out of the corner of your eye.

Mine popped 1.61 last time a coach put a watch on her at a showcase, in the 1.7's when I check in practice.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
A fun little project would be to use a tool like Coach's Eye to record both throw downs from a game as well as practice. The video can help you calculate pop time, but more importantly, allow you to overlay the 2 videos to see what is different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves