Covid extra year eligibility

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
My nephew is a senior at Columbia - there have been a few guys who have moved on to play year 5 at another school. There's a school that has been in contact with him about another year if he choses to go that route.

Aug 21, 2008
ivy league choosing to do that is their doing. pretty sure all div of NCAA and NAIA were granted an additional year. Appearantly, it was optional for the schools to do it.
Correct, the schools decided if they were going to do this or not, it wasn't the NCAA or conferences. Wisconsin was one school in particular that did NOT do this. They basically told the players "we're sorry this happened, it sucks but we're not going set our program back several years by giving everyone another year". They felt that giving players an additional year would be unfair to the incoming recruits. It's my understanding that all the scholarships that the players were getting were maintained, so the kids still got their education and degrees, which is ultimately the reason they're in college, no? However, their playing careers were obviously cut short. I'm assuming those players could have left Wisconsin and gone to other schools where their eligibility was still in tact.

Aug 21, 2008

Like this guy. Same recruiting class at Oregon as Justin Herbert. Checks notes.... Herbert just completed his 4th season in the NFL.
9th year of eligibility? WOW. This guy is Bluto from Animal House!!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Both DD's have another year of eligibility after they graduate this year thanks to the Wuhan Flu. One is entertaining offers as a Grad Transfer (Business) and the other is likely going to be done with softball as she needs to collect clinic hours before continuing school for her PA Masters degree. This will be a bittersweet last season for them running the battery and playing together after all these years.

Nov 5, 2014
I have a client whose daughter played lacrosse at Columbia who got one year of playing. She played in 2018, blew her ACL in the spring of 2019, and had the 2020 season shortened and the 2021 season cancelled. No extra years for her.

Softball did the same thing. My friend's daughter played in 2019, 10 games in 2020, none in 2021, and a full year in 2022. They weren't even offered the option to play another year.
NCAA controls eligibility but the Ivy league does not allow graduate students to compete in intercollegiate athletics so Ivy league athletes all had the additional year of eligibility granted to them by the NCAA but in order to utilize it they had to either delay graduation or transfer to another conference for grad school.

I have my issues with the extra year of eligibility granted to all athletes but think the Ivy league was foolish to force these athletes to attend other schools to utilize it

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
NCAA controls eligibility but the Ivy league does not allow graduate students to compete in intercollegiate athletics so Ivy league athletes all had the additional year of eligibility granted to them by the NCAA but in order to utilize it they had to either delay graduation or transfer to another conference for grad school.

I have my issues with the extra year of eligibility granted to all athletes but think the Ivy league was foolish to force these athletes to attend other schools to utilize it
Yup. I know a kid that graduated from UPenn then played her 5th year at Maryland. Actually led the in team K's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles