Pointing thumb to direct pitch????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 15, 2011
I see your from Connecticut, there is PC named Carley that comes on to the site,I think she is from the New York city area,I think so dont hold me to it.Also I dont know how close you are to there.But she is in line with the IR.She has a lot of good info IMO.Seems like a good place to start if your looking for a PC. Good Luck to your daughter.

Thanks nano. NYC is about 2 hours from me. Definitely don't have the time for that kind of travel. Plus, if she is good enough to hang with the crew here, then I probably can't afford her lessons. Not weekly anyway, like some kids go.

Sep 15, 2011
Another option from what nanotech said, I know Hilhouse does lessons in Maine about once per month. He has told me students come from all over New England when he's there. If it's like his Dallas location, there's probably a nearby hotel that offers a deal for his lessons.
cg

Actually CG, we have been to see Bill in Maine. I first heard about him a year ago from here. Got his DVD and worked hard to move from the bowling, hello elbow crap she learned from a local facilities group lessons. That facility spent at least 20 minutes of each hour doing wrist flicks.

So, we went to see Bill last April and learned a lot about what she was doing right and what she was doing wrong. Awesome experience for both of us. It was just an hour lesson and we will go back again this winter for another laundry list of things to work on.

However, it was BM's IR that really got her throwing the ball hard. So, between Bill, BM and DFP we know of quite a few things we need to work on.

Unfortunately, coaching your own daughter has it's own challenges and I definitely don't know enough to adequately move her along. I do have some sessions lined up with local ex D1 college pitcher who I hear is really good. I just need to make sure someone better than me keeps instructing the both of us.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
If you are near Durham, CT- you could try out USA Elite Training- they run clinics (less impact on pocketbook) and also offer group or private lessons. very structured approach in line with mechanics discussed on this site- helped my DD very much. Northern CT, maybe planet fastpitch which is Southern MA

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
If you are near Durham, CT- you could try out USA Elite Training- they run clinics (less impact on pocketbook) and also offer group or private lessons. very structured approach in line with mechanics discussed on this site- helped my DD very much. Northern CT, maybe planet fastpitch which is Southern MA

Elite has turned out some very good pitchers. Unfortunately they don't like me very much. They didn't appreciate being told that teaching hello elbow was bad. The two group instructors have never heard of IR, insisted that the ball should be facing third throughout the whole circle and insisted that Jennie Finch and Monica Abbott pitch the same way they teach. They also seemed to ignore my DD after she told them she preferred a more natural follow through versus straight up to the throwing shoulder. Plus, the first 20 minutes of every group lesson was spent on wrist flicks. How much did that 20 minutes cost me?

The rest of their lessons were great and I learned a great deal from them. Can I just pay for the last 40 minutes of each hour?

I hear Planet Fastpich is great as is Fastpitch Nation in Bloomfield. My DD actually took a NECC clinic there. Great facility.

Sep 15, 2011
Good point Screwball. I will definitely take that into account during future conversations.

I did however go into more detail with one of the instructors. I stated that in most elite level pitchers, from the palm up 3 o'clock position the arm will rotate as the ball is pulled down, and continue to rotate through the release and into a natural follow through without being forced up to the throwing shoulder. The response was, not true when they throw their fastball.

That was the end of the conversation.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie