Please be cautious!!!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
One of the girls I played with had a ball thrown at her and she watched it sail straight past her and then started giggling. My coach thought I was overreacting by calling time and going to see if she was OK, but by the time I got to her she was starting to swap and she was boiling to touch. We had her wrapped in towels and put in the car and straight to hospital. She was there for three days getting rehydrated.

Thanks for putting up the 'must hydrate beforehand' I didn't know that.

On a personal note, I've just switched from drinking mainly diet soft drink to water. I went from drinking 4-5L of Pepsi Max (I KNOW!) a day, to only 1.2L. I now drink 3L of water just before leaving work. I usually have another 1-2 600mL bottles at home. The difference in less than two weeks is amazing. I had no idea how fuzzy my brain was. I can think SO much clearer now. It's quite scary the difference. I can't wait for the other health benefits to kick in. Even the symptoms of depression have lessened.

As gross as this might be considered by the girls, showing them this chart can be a massive help.

urine-chart.jpg

The girls don't need to tell anyone anything, but something as simple as checking the toilet before they flush can be a big help. My former boss put them up in the bathrooms about three months before I left. Drinking after work, one of the guys walked in after going to the bathroom and went 'I need more water' The discussion started and apparently everyone at my work now routinely checked after going. They can then self monitor if they're TRULY hydrated.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I distribute hydration requirements every spring to all families
so they can understand the severity of heat stroke and dehydration.
I grew tired of kids showing up on game day with 16oz of water and
no cash for 3+ games

Oct 12, 2009
As gross as this might be considered by the girls, showing them this chart can be a massive help.

urine-chart.jpg

I was going to post, and say, exactly that same thing.

I went camping in 95+ degree heat last week and monitored my own status this way.

However, this is easier for boys to do.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
One of the girls I played with had a ball thrown at her and she watched it sail straight past her and then started giggling. My coach thought I was overreacting by calling time and going to see if she was OK, but by the time I got to her she was starting to swap and she was boiling to touch. We had her wrapped in towels and put in the car and straight to hospital. She was there for three days getting rehydrated.

Thanks for putting up the 'must hydrate beforehand' I didn't know that.

On a personal note, I've just switched from drinking mainly diet soft drink to water. I went from drinking 4-5L of Pepsi Max (I KNOW!) a day, to only 1.2L. I now drink 3L of water just before leaving work. I usually have another 1-2 600mL bottles at home. The difference in less than two weeks is amazing. I had no idea how fuzzy my brain was. I can think SO much clearer now. It's quite scary the difference. I can't wait for the other health benefits to kick in. Even the symptoms of depression have lessened.

urine-chart.jpg

The girls don't need to tell anyone anything, but something as simple as checking the toilet before they flush can be a big help. My former boss put them up in the bathrooms about three months before I left. Drinking after work, one of the guys walked in after going to the bathroom and went 'I need more water' The discussion started and apparently everyone at my work now routinely checked after going. They can then self monitor if they're TRULY hydrated.

Very useful. In fact this chart was introduced as a primary topic during the mandatory player/parent spring sports meeting prior to the start of DD's HS SB season. Granterd there were a few snickers and nervous giggles, but the importance of proper hydration was conveyed very effectively using this visual tool.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Thanks for the chart. In the spring, I went to a game to see a #2, pitch. The number 1 was very good, and I asked who her pitching coach was. Her dad/head coach said that he was. I started talking to both the mom and dad and the girl came over (12U) and she was trembling. Her mom said "I don't like this shaking." I mean this young lady couldn't even hold her hand out. I said "Get more water in her and make her drink until she has to urinate." The girl said "I haven't went to the bathroom, in 4 hours." I kept emphasizing water and bathroom. Her dad had her continue to pitch.

Caffeine and diet pepsi is the killer for me. I just ordered a case of caffeine free coffee, but I do avoid coffee all together, when I have to be at the field at 8AM. Lozza, I can match you drink for drink on the Pepsi.

Has anyone tried MIO? It is in a little squirt bottle and it will flavor your water. You can find it near the koolaide. We all love it and my married DD actually "stole" 1/2 a bottle to take home with her, from my pantry.

Mar 15, 2011
I live in Wisconsin so we don't get the extreme heat that some areas do but we did have a couple of tournaments where the heat index was off the charts. In addition to all of the normal things like drinking lots of water and such, I brought along a cooler with extra water, spray bottles, and wet washclothes to help the girls stay cool. They liked it so much it has become a thing i just do as a matter of course.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Salt Tablets

What ever happen to salt tablets? When I was playing HS and college football, we took 1-2 salt tablets before practice every day, mandatory! I never saw any signs of dehydration. Salt actually helps you retain water and also helps in preventing cramps. I guess they went by the wayside with the "high blood pressure" craze that has come and gone in the medical field. I talked to my Dr. about this just last week and he said it was a little medical secret that salt only affects about 1/3 of the population. I guess "grandma's remedies" really do (did) work. I have searched high and low but cannot find any salt tablets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah