Playing up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Playing with and practicing with older girls are two different things.

When DD 3 was a first year 12U, she was invited to practice for a while with a 16U team her older sister had previously played on. The older sister of one of DD 3's TB teammates was on the team as well, and was also an apprentice AC for DD 3's 12U team.

One time both teams were in the same tournament. The 12U girls were encouraged to go watch the older girls play. The other 12U girls were extremely impressed with DD 3. Whenever a girl from the 16U team was at bat, or else made a great play, DD 3 knew her name and knew the girl. It made DD 3 seem much older and wiser to the young girls. OTOH, the 16U players were clearly better than DD 3. There was no question she wasn't good enough to play for them, although when she was a 2nd year 10U she once guest played for a 14U team that otherwise would only have 8 players.

May 13, 2015
NorCal
My DD is a 7th grader, playing up on a 14u team. She fits with the team athletically and is being challenged in a way that she wasn't before. The big downside for her has mostly been social, as she doesn't have a lot in common with the 9th graders. Fortunately, she is very self confident and just walks away if she isn't interested in what the older girls are talking about. So far, it has been a good experience.

Tom

Mar 13, 2014
Texas
You probably have already checked into this and it may be different in AL than here, but make sure by her playing varsity in 7th & 8th grades she isn't using up eligibility to play her Jr. & Sr. years.

Like other have said, evaluate on skill level and fit. My DD is doing the same this season. So far everything has gone well. Older players have been positive influence on & off field. She has become much more diligent with homework and time management after seeing how the Freshman have to manage their time as compared to her 7th grade schedule. She said its like getting a bunch of big sisters. Game has also improved by being around players she has to push herself to be as good as.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
around here, the elite players tend to play a year or two in 14U, and then jump right to an 18u team.
so, different than Sluggers DD experience of going 12U to 16U. Here, 16U seems to not field many D1-Track players at all.

Not sure I would recommend this path as the majority of college recruiting seems to be done at 16U now....

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I normally recommend getting on the best team your DD can make and be in the starting lineup. That said, you need to be careful not to put her into an awkward situation in the dugout where all of the players are older than her and she becomes an outcast because of her age. A lot of maturing goes on between 12U and 16U.

The best teams in our area play up an age division until Nationals. That is a much better option in my opinion. It keeps her on a team with girls her age, and pushes her to improve when the team plays better competition.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Corlay,

Interesting. That's the way it was in Texas years ago. Now I see kids staying down as long as they can since more college coaches are watching 14 and 16. At least one good thing came from all the early committing.

Now if you are committed, move on up to 18.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. We were told she would be better off playing 3 years of 14U because so many coaches are watching that age group now. It is a good way to start building the relationships by heading to camps and then letting them see you on the field.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. We were told she would be better off playing 3 years of 14U because so many coaches are watching that age group now. It is a good way to start building the relationships by heading to camps and then letting them see you on the field.

So is your plan to put her on the field and hope a coach "watching that age group" strolls by, she does something spectacular, impresses them and gets recruited? If so you are in for a very long journey. Unless she is phenomenal nobody is going to come see her play 14U ball. News Flash: The best 14U teams do not waste their time playing 14U! If she has the goods move her up. The level of play in 14U is a very mixed bag with 14U teams afraid to play up and 12U teams looking for competition. If she is a pitcher get her onto an 18A/Gold team where she will face the best of the best, otherwise get her on very good 16U team. Remember that YOU have to establish the relationships with the coaches and by and large who you play for does not matter. When you look into the so called marquee teams you find that they do indeed place a few players at a high level, but many end up at Never Heard of U. Play at a level where her skills will improve and when coaches do come see her what she does will have some meaningful context.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

If it was my DD I would plan to play 2 years of 14U and 3 years of 16U if necessary. College coaches watch 14U, but they are looking for top 0.5% players. The majority of recruiting occurs at 16U. Get to 16U as soon as she is comfortable and stay there until she verbals or ages out.

May 12, 2008

I think you should play 14U as long as possible on the best team she can play a lot. An experienced coach on such a team will know where to play. He can play whatever level seems best the whole season till qualifiers and nationals. At 14U nats I guarantee plenty of coaches will be there. OTOH, if she wants to start at the local juco or go to mom's alma mater the local D3, play wherever seems best for her development.

I'd suggest buying Cathi Aradi's book and follow her advice.

Caveat-the higher the academics, the later and older the school is making their decisions and scouting kids. The lower the level of softball, same thing.

I should add, if the only decent team in your area is older, you may be forced to play up or drive a long way to practice.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd