Playing Softball And Baseball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Just curious what some of you knowledgable people think about DD playing baseball in fall. DD will be 12 YO this June. She says she wants to play LL Fall Ball baseball with her brother. I mentioned this to someone I coach rec with and she said I shouldn't do it, and to ask the HS coach about why he would reccomend against it. HS coach is busy with his team at regionals, so I thought I would ask you folks.

Thanks--

Nov 1, 2009
If that is what she wants to do then I would encourage her to do it. The biggest mistake parents make in competitive travel ball is taking it so seriously they forget to let the kid have a childhood.

I also think it is great for your 12 year old daughter to want to hang around her 12 year old brother.

Oct 25, 2009
Absolutely let her play baseball. One of the best players I know of played baseball from the time she was 8 until fastpitch came to our area. Played catcher and/or short her whole career including a full ride to East Carolina University. Awesome bat also.

She might even win an award like my step-DD won--prettiest girl on the team. (only girl on the team)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just curious what some of you knowledgable people think about DD playing baseball in fall. DD will be 12 YO this June. She says she wants to play LL Fall Ball baseball with her brother. I mentioned this to someone I coach rec with and she said I shouldn't do it, and to ask the HS coach about why he would reccomend against it. HS coach is busy with his team at regionals, so I thought I would ask you folks.

Thanks--

Hitting and throwing mechanics are the same so no worries there. Depends where you are, but generally the boys' skills and competition level are more advanced at that age than the girls. If the coaching is decent and she can earn playing time, her skill set may improve quicker than playing SB. If they get along well, I see no reason not to play with her brother. The other bonus is that you only have one team to follow!

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Hitting and throwing mechanics are the same so no worries there. Depends where you are, but generally the boys' skills and competition level are more advanced at that age than the girls. If the coaching is decent and she can earn playing time, her skill set may improve quicker than playing SB. If they get along well, I see no reason not to play with her brother. The other bonus is that you only have one team to follow!

exactly!!!

May 19, 2009
You should definitely let her. There is no down side. She is going to see faster pitching and harder hits than she does in softball so it will only help her reaction time. My girl is playing Babe Ruth baseball right now while playing for her HS softball team. I have always thought playing all those years and having success against the boys made her tougher and gave her unbeleivable confidence whichever diamond she is on.

Jun 21, 2010
Good replies. I appreciate it. My son is 10 this year. He played Fall Ball last fall to better prepare him for the draft the following season. Didn't get drafted initially, but a team needed a player two weeks into the season and he got called up. Both he and his sister get along just fine. If they get the same coach as my son had last year it will be a very positive experience. Actually, all the coaches in Fall Ball are very good.

Following one team will be great. Last fall my DD played in another city to keep playing softball. Practices were usually on days my son had a game. I missed alot of his games. I think this will be much better for everyone.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
A girl from our town played baseball until high school, when she moved over to softball. Worked out pretty well for her as she gets quite a bit of playing time as an upper classman in college.

Jan 23, 2009
NE

While I agree that the mechanics are the same. What will the effect of the ball coming from a different position have on her batting? We work with the girls to watch the release from the hip and to have her spend all Fall watching the release and the path of the baseball come from the shoulder, I wonder how that will effect her next spring.

Just wondering.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My DD's first year of ball (12U), one of the girls on the team had always played baseball on her brother's team. She honestly was one of the best fielders and hitters on the team.

If she can hit a small white ball, it should make hitting that larger bright yellow ball a heck of a lot easier. IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC