Playing for Large Orgs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
To the OP - why are you seeking to move teams?

Seeking a higher/more national level of play?
Better coaching?
More playing time?
Have those teams invited her to tryout?

Also, what's the end goal, i.e. what do you think a larger org will provide you that helps you achieve this?

Would love to hear more.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 4, 2020
I have an 07 daughter in central Indiana. One thing to keep in mind with regards to the large orgs is that there are teams with varying ability. Not all teams are created equal. If you watch some of the Facebook groups, you will see that there are organizational level tryouts, but a lot of the teams have individual tryouts as well. And it varies across the organizations. The advantages I see to playing for a larger organization: Most of the teams are required to register B and above. A lot of the teams will also mix in higher level tournaments into their schedule. The big orgs also often training opportunities with their staff as well during fall and winter.

May 27, 2013
Just keep in mind - if the end goal is to play on the top team in any large org, many times that org is eventually getting those players from other orgs. Sure, some might be in that org starting at the 12U/14U level, but quite often the 18U Gold team has players that came over to the org at an older age.

Nov 18, 2013
Keep in mind when playing for those "large orgs" playing time is not guaranteed.

As for the fees comment above most of the fees for these "National" teams run around the same rate.

I think the fees vary by age group and depending if you’re on the top team. I’ve heard quotes ranging from several thousand dollars to having all team fees and travel picked up by the organization.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
I think this goes without saying but.... Large organization does not guarantee being on their top team, or even a particularly good team. My DD plays for a small org and every once in a while they will face a team from one of the big dogs. They automatically think “oh great we are playing *Insert Name Here*, this is going to be a tough game” and they end up run ruling them.

Locally there is a big org that has 9 or so 18U teams (and I mean 9 in our general area, with in 2 hours) that range from PGF contenders to really good rec ball team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 29, 2019
The first thing you need to ask yourself is "What is your ultimate goal?" If DD has the dream (and obviously talent level) to play in the Power 5 conferences, then an org such as the Bandits will give her the best opportunity to so. The first time DDs team played a Beverly Bandits team (12 or 14, I don't remember), every B1G 10 coach was there to watch. Show up at a camp with a Bandits jersey on, and the coaches will follow DD around like a lost puppy.

However, all of the above comes with a heavy price. It is a massive time and financial commitment. In addition to the high team fees, there will be THOUSANDS of dollars in travel and lodging expenses every season. You will be expected to fly out to all parts of the country, sometimes on short notice. You may have to fly out to California for two day round-robin, then have to be a thousand miles away two days later for a week-long tourney. Also, there is often a very cut-throat atmosphere in these orgs. All of this can lead your DD to become massively burnt out. I have seen a number of girls call it quits after going through this.

We are from the midwest, so I am very familiar with every team mentioned in this thread so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06