Playing Down for All Stars

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 8, 2015
I don’t have any issue with it. As long as the girl is age eligible, it’s not my place to determine who can and cannot play. I am very involved for a very competitive Babe Ruth program. My oldest DD’s Team finished 2nd in the Worlds Series, we had no girls that played up on the team, but encountered plenty who did. She moved to TB the following year and hasn’t played Babe Ruth since.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Our league doesn’t even allow it. You are only eligible for the age group you played during the season. The only exception they’ve made is if there aren’t enough girls for a division, they can play up.
Playing 10u rec and TB, it seems really silly to drop to 8u :/

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
When my DD 3 was second year 10u she played up in 12u for little league. It was a good experience for her. She was invited to try out for both 12u and 10u all-stars. Whether it was politics or her skills, she made 10u and not 12u for all stars. It was a fantastic experience for her. She has never played in a tournament before and won her first tournament. The coaches put together a TB team made up of the 10u all-stars. Some of those.girls are still friends in her HS.

Jun 8, 2018
Our league doesn’t even allow it. You are only eligible for the age group you played during the season. The only exception they’ve made is if there aren’t enough girls for a division, they can play up.
Playing 10u rec and TB, it seems really silly to drop to 8u :/

Well, they won the 8u tournament going away. I learned this weekend that one of the bigger 10u girls who dropped down for All Stars pitches and can already hit around 50mph.

Not sure why people are discussing playing up in this thread. That's not relevant to the topic here.

Jun 8, 2016
As the father of a girl who is playing up into 10U, I wouldn't do it as it wouldn't help her improve.

That said, if I was a parent of a girl whose DD was now not playing because a girl who was playing 10U
took her spot, or of a girl who is playing against these Babe Ruth's of 8U softball, I would be more worried about
getting my kid to the level of these Barry Bond's-like 8/9 YO rather than whether it was fair or not.....

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018
As the father of a girl who is playing up into 10U, I wouldn't do it as it wouldn't help her improve. However if I was a parent of a girl whose DD was now not playing because a girl who was playing 10U
took her spot I would be more worried about getting my kid to the level of the girl who took her spot rather than whether it was fair or not.....

The coach of this 8u All Star team in not well liked and has gotten into it with coaches from other cities. They canceled the district top team tournament the prior spring because no one wanted to deal with him.

This setup was done to load up their 8u team so it could smash the other very good teams of legit 8u-only players in the district, and that's largely what happened.

Jun 8, 2016
The coach of this 8u All Star team in not well liked and has gotten into it with coaches from other cities. They canceled the district top team tournament the prior spring because no one wanted to deal with him.

This setup was done to load up their 8u team so it could smash the other very good teams of legit 8u-only players in the district, and that's largely what happened.

What does that have to do with your original question?

Do I think coaches/parents should be doing this? As I said, no. Do I think parents/coaches who are getting killed by these age-appropriate girls should
be whining about it? No, worry about improving your girls/team. Who cares what anybody else is doing? At this age it should be about development. If you play this team
twice and the first time you lose 20-2 and the second time you lose 20-8 then be proud of your kids as they have improved.

Jan 30, 2018
SE Michigan
I don't know how you have time to do both TB and Rec or why you would want to. Maybe she should move up to a higher level of TB and play good competition all the time? Maybe your area has better rec ball than mine. Our 11u girls would destroy the 14u all stars in our area so I would hate to see what they would do to their own age or younger.

Jun 8, 2018
What does that have to do with your original question?

Do I think coaches/parents should be doing this? As I said, no. Do I think parents/coaches who are getting killed by these age-appropriate girls should
be whining about it? No, worry about improving your girls/team. Who cares what anybody else is doing? At this age it should be about development. If you play this team
twice and the first time you lose 20-2 and the second time you lose 20-8 then be proud of your kids as they have improved.

I was trying to add more context because so many replies haven't been on point or really understood the situation.

I am happy with my DD's dev as she is as good or better as the 9.5 year olds on her team and she just turned 8 in May. I also think that if you play 10u all year that you should either make the 10u all star team or go sit at home, but I am likely alone with this assertion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi