playing against former team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My DD had to pitch against a former team a few weeks ago. Her former catcher hit a triple off of a hanging change-up, and DD struck out another girl, so some good some bad, performance-wise. Afterwards all the girls chatted and seemed glad to see eachother. I agree it's usually more emotionally nerve-wracking for the parents.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My DD played her old team in a scrimmage and again in a tournament this weekend . She was nervous at first but I guaruntee it didn't change the way she played one bit . All the girls hugged and joked before the game and then it was all business . She took out the pitcher sliding into home on a passed ball and stole bases (something she is known for and they tried hard to prevent) without mercy . Afterwards it was all hugs and laughs again .

When we played them in the tournament all the coaches and parents were friendly toward us , heck we went and cheered on their 14U team as my Niece is their #1 pitcher and my DD's friend the first baseman .

The softball world is too small to be petty or unfriendly . These girls are going to be playing each other for a looong time so we might as well try and get along .

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
After our team dissolved a couple of weeks ago it is just a matter of time before we play teams that have former players on it. We have received some "icy" reception from a couple of parents, but for the most part it has been good, except for one player. We are still dealing with the after effects from one player and her parents. We constantly hear talk from the dad who for whatever reason can't keep his mouth shut. Keeps telling all kinds of lies to every player, parent and coach he can find. While he has mostly directed his vile towards me, he has included my DD in his insults. We haven't played his new team yet but when we do it should be good. "IF" there are any problems between his DD and my DD during the game there will be problems for him. Attack me all you want, but include my DD in your retaliation then you have some serious problems.

Feb 16, 2010
My DD and all her friends on different teams all speak smack to each other before, during and after the game. The kids handle this way better than adults for the most part.The parents I liked I have never ever had any issue with and I give the friendly hello to everyone else. Take the high ground and don't burn bridges - you never know how things end up and somehow, somewhen you end up back on the same team with parents and kids you never thought you would ever play with again.

This.

My DD started in rec and has advanced her way up through several teams. When she sees or plays a former team there are hugs and joking around before and after the games. The parents are always more stressed about games against former teams. They seem more worried about proving that the new team is better than the previous, or vice versa for parents on the old team. The girls don't seem to be as concerned.

Jul 1, 2010
This.

My DD started in rec and has advanced her way up through several teams. When she sees or plays a former team there are hugs and joking around before and after the games. The parents are always more stressed about games against former teams. They seem more worried about proving that the new team is better than the previous, or vice versa for parents on the old team. The girls don't seem to be as concerned.

You hit the nail on the head. The kids are fine, it's the parents that have the trauma (drama?)

Sep 18, 2011
I just caught an early look at the brackets and it's gone from "potentially" playing against her former team to "definitely" playing against them. Given that her new team is 3 1/2 hours away, it's a little surreal that her first official Summer tournament game will be against her former team. Kind of funny. In any event, thanks for the helpful posts. I'm trying (and almsot succeeding) to convince myself that it's a win/win situation. Daughter's team wins? Great for DD. Former team wins? Great for those girls and coaches. I'll probably be back to this thread on May 14 with an update on how it went.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's kinda silly to worry about the outcome of a game just for the sake of our egos - especially a game that we're not even playing. It's our daughter's game, not ours.

I'm not saying that I'm above all that myself either. Just saying that it helps to remind myself that it's just a game and that I don't want to be the kind of person who has anxiety over such nonsense and is overly competitive for my DD. If my daughter's old team beats us and she strikes out twice, well, congrats to them.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My DD went through this. We wanted our DD to play more tournaments and better competition. We also wanted the team to play "up" for a tournament or two. Old team would not do that. We left on good terms and, to be honest, my daughter really liked her old coach. Then, new team where she was second youngest player played old team a year later. By then, she fit in with new team and really loved new coach. She was torn because both men had been so kind to her. We played that game and she was well received by the old team after the game. The old team ended up being her high school team and so, we were glad that everything went so well. DD started varsity as freshman and I believe that was because she was playing "up" and so knew she could compete with the older girls. Old team players need first year of JV to get ready for varsity and then, most were starters sophomore year. In the long run it worked out so well.

Aug 2, 2008
So far I like goingdeeps the best, lol, that sounds crazy but fun.

It happens alot around here, its usually not a big deal and the kids like it more than not.

It happens to coaches also. A guy I coached with several years ago had completely different philosophies and we split up, I thought it was amicable. I found out later his sole purpose was to beat us, when we finally met up we won by 2 in a low scoring game. Later that year they got us by 1 :mad:. Adults can be just as childish as the kids:).

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
DD1 has played her former team (that her bff still plays on) 3 times so far this season. We are 1-2 against them currently, but will probably play them again this weekend. DD's struggle is that even though the old team has a new head coach, the assistant coach was her coach for 2 seasons, and then there is also a parent that was her coach last season. So when we play them, she has a hard time tuning out their voices. But her and her bff talk smack before the game and give each other a big hug after the game. And I go over and talk to my friends during warmups for a few minutes.

DH says he doesn't care if we lose every game all season, as long as we beat this team. He can't stand the HC. It bothers him that our friends stayed and he wishes better for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles