Players have to pay at the gate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I hope that this isn't going to be the norm.

Valerie Arioto ‏@ValerieArioto Protected account 9m
Field of Dreams in Manteca makes the girls pay to get in when they are already paying to be in the tourney?! #NeverHeardOfThat #ComeOnBro ⚾💙

Apr 11, 2012
All the Big League Dreams complexes make players pay at the gate and then they give the player a token worth a $1 that can be used at their snack bar (I think they charge players $1 to get in). They also set up a table at the gate and check all bags and purses for outside food and drinks.

Crazy Softball Guy

Casual Observer
May 31, 2013
Big League Dream parks charge players a $1 "entry fee" and in return they receive a token good for $1 to spend towards food and beverage in their snack bar.

Big League Dream parks charge players a $1 "entry fee" and in return they receive a token good for $1 to spend towards food and beverage in their snack bar.

It's actually pretty devious on there part ....charge a dollar per player ...give them a one dollar token to use in the snack bar and the lowest priced thing you can buy is four bucks .....and they think were to stupid to figure this out. And don't get me started abut how the manager of the park wouldn't let us bring in certain food for our special needs son wether they sold the food or not ....he finally let us take jello in for him after a fight ...... but we don't have ADA to fall back on because Big League Dreams is privately owned. According to there website all that you can bring in is water, vitamin water, and fruit and NO ICE CHESTS ...but they will gladly rent you one for a 10 dollar deposit IMO just a big hassle and make sure if you play there you get there at least 30 minutes before your team wants you there because they check every bag and the lines get real long.....just my 2 cents

May 25, 2010
As a parent, I'd rather pay $1-2 more at the gate than have the players having to deal with that nonsense.

Most teams who go don't do more than one tourney every year or so at their parks. Nice facilities are what draw people in, but the more serious teams generally avoid them.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What erk's me is the school games. Sometimes due to work or distance I might not make it there until the last couple of innings. If there is only 1 inning left, don't be an azz and charge me the full price. Let's use some common courtesy folks.

Had one school about an hour away, I knew from experience they had no real concessions. So I stopped by a place and grabbed a "sack supper" to eat while I enjoyed the game. ( I'd worked all day and big guy is hungry ) This little bitty man said I couldn't take my supper in. So I politely asked again "do you have food available"? He said yes.....chips and candy. I told him he could call whoever he needed, but I was walking in and eating the evidence while I watched my daughter. Never heard another word about it. Again, let's use some common courtesy. If they would have had even the normal hamburger/hotdog, I would have gladly spent my money there.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Common sense has gone out the window. I wouldn't want their dang dollar token, because I never visit a concession stand. I have done my duty working them for many years and all have been less than clean. If you only knew what has been crawling on everything in there.

Schools in IL and AZ. don't charge a gate fee, at least they didn't when my kids were playing. Heck, you could carry in a refrigerator if you wanted to.

I just came from a really nice little, local tourney. No gate fee and bring in everything that you want. The concession stand still did plenty of business and were out of tacos by 10:30 AM.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Amy, I don't recall my daughter paying a gate fee at all. My daughter's organization is putting on a tournament this coming weekend that has become a tradition in the St. Louis area. Teams will come from all over Missouri and Illinois. Sometimes we get teams as far away as Tennessee. (Germantown came a few years.) They will have the best BBQ, grilled pork steaks, corn on the cob, ... it is a feast and at great prices. The diamonds will be done between each game. I know because I'll be doing some of them. They will have free "rides" for the little ones. By that, those "bounce houses" and such. Teams from 10u to 23U will play on 10 fields. It will be so much fun. Oh, the fire department will be on hand to hose down each field between games as well. It is really a community event.

NO GATE FEE WILL BE CHARGED!

Regarding HS ball, I have never paid to get into a game except the Regional, sectionals and state tournament games. Those fees are mandated by the IHSA and so, schools have to charge that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors